Chapter Six: Festival

Today is the day of the festival. Of all days, I expected this to be something I could be excited about. However, I barely slept last night for many reasons other than excitement. With what we talked about yesterday, I whipped my phone and searched through Takagi's number,

but she isn't answering.

A sudden fear takes over me. What if she-!?

Before I can finish my thoughts, my phone rings. I try to answer, but my palms are so sweaty from the stress, I drop my phone on the ground.

I see she's calling me. I quickly dive down and answer her as fast as I can.

Takagi: "Nishikata?"

Her voice is unnaturally loud, I either woke her up or couldn't sleep at all last night. I decide I indirectly ask her.

Nishikata: "Sorry, d-did I wake you up?"

Takagi: "No...I've been up for a while."

Her voice takes on an unnaturally cheery tone. Something's not right.

Takagi: "Don't worry about me, ehehe~."

Her laugh sounds forced. Something is definitely not right here.

Nishikata: "Takagi..."

Takagi: "What?"

A sudden fear grips me. I realize I have to distract her somehow before things get out of control. She clearly seems upset, and from how tired she sounds, I assume she didn't sleep at all. There's no knowing what she'll do to herself if I hang up on her like this.

Nishikata: "I Just wanted to call because I want to meet before the festival. We always came over, so how about I come over and make breakfast?"

She says nothing, but on the other side, she sighs.

Nishikata: "I promised we go to the festival together."

Takagi: "Is this because of what I told you yesterday? Is that why you acted this way? I..."

Nishikata: "N-No! That's not it! I wanna spend time with you before the festival! I-I mean I woke up early today, and there isn't much to pass the time, except watching 200% Unrequited Love. You told me you didn't want me to turn a NEET didn't you?"

Takagi bitterly laughs at the other phone.

Takagi: "Yeah, You're actually right..."

Nishikata: "And since you're my only friend, I guess I have nobody to socialize with. You, or anime!"

Takagi: "I get what you mean."

She pauses, and I hear the sound of a door opening followed by a thud that sounds like the door closing.

Takagi: "When will you come over?"

Nishikata: "Right now! I'll be in 5 minutes sharp!"

Takagi: "Okay! I'll leave the door open."

In a flash, I changed my casual clothes into my uniform.

I hung up and ran out the door as fast as my legs can take me. I don't even bother closing the door, let alone looking at the road.

Panting heavily, I open the door. She really did leave it unlocked. As soon as I enter, I hear the sound of the shower running. Remembering the sound I heard, I rush up to her room.