FINALE: A New Beginning

Hours ago ...

...

I open my eyes to see the morning sunlight shining through my curtains.

Takagi's caretaking seems to worked wonders on me, since I don't even need to check my fever to know that while it's not gone, it's significantly weaker.

I slowly made my way out of bed. My legs still feel weak, and I feel a little dizzy when I get dressed.

I look at the clock to finally notice that Takagi will be arriving at any minute now. I smile viscously. I decided I went downstairs and finally tease her back by surprising her.

Half an hour passes as I make breakfast and wait for Takagi...

However, she doesn't show up. I feel anxious as I look at the clock on the wall. She should've been here any moment by now. We even made a promise.

Did I push her away? Did I scare her away with how suddenly I took an interest in her situation? But, on the other hand, I know she's prone to oversleeping. Maybe she's getting ready now.

Despite my attempts to calm myself down, I can't shake the feeling of anxiety in my stomach.

Should I call her? Or would that only make me seem clingy?

As I mentally debate myself, I hear the doorknob turn. She's here! I'm ready in a position to surprise her, but the door seems no avail to open.

I look through the window and see Takagi standing outside my doorway with a conflicting look on her face. Why is she hesitating?

Does she not want to see me anymore? She's fiddling with the key in her fingers as if she's unsure whether or not it's right for her to open the door.

Oh crap...I think I know what's the problem is! She must've misinterpreted my words as if it were a sign about how I like her! Or probably now, she doesn't take any interest in me whatsoever.

Why did that thought...hurt me so much?

However, my thoughts get interrupted when she turns her eyes towards the window and sees me looking at her. Her eyes are widening in fear as she backs off and runs away.

The anxiety inside me takes over my logical thoughts.

I grab my coat and rush after her without even locking the door.

I run as fast as my weakened legs can take me, but it's not enough. Between my terrible stamina and Takagi being much faster than her looks would suggest, the distance between us only widens.

At this rate, I'll lose her...

I'm filled with fear-included adrenaline at the thought of possibly losing my only friend without even knowing why I lost her and start using whatever inside me to run faster. As she reaches the middle of the road, Takagi heard my wheezing, turns her head and sees me running after her.

Her eyes widen in shock. The gap between us closes until she's right in front of me.

T: "Why...?"

I gasp and my eyes also widen. However, they don't widen enough seeing Takagi stop...from a large truck that's coming towards her at full speed!!

At this rate, even if it sees her and the driver pulls the breaks, she won't escape unscathed if she doesn't move out of the way right now!

N: "TAKAGI! LOOK OUT!"

T: "Wah- AAAHHHH!!!"

Gathering all the energy I had left in me, I pounce like a cougar and tackle her out of the way. I use my own body as a cushion for her. The truck passes by, missing both of us by a few inches.