Chapter Seven: Sick

After a painful night full of nightmares, I woke up in a cold sweat and my body feels like it's been battered by pro fighters all day long. I try to inhale, but my throat feels like it's been ground with sandpaper.

Nishikata: "Oh crap, why now?"

I cough violently and feel drained of energy. I rest my head against the pillow and try to open my eyes, but my eyes feels incredibly heavy.

This is bad. I promised Takagi I would spend time with her, considering little time we had for the festival. As it stands, I don't have the strength to reach out my phone and call her. Even so, she needs to know, or she'll wait for me all day.

I don't need to be a genius to know how badly she will take it if I don't show up without an explanation. I try to force my body to move and reach my phone, but it's futile, I feel weak and tired. Even so, I have to force myself and bear the cold pain.

I crawl like an oversized caterpillar to the edge of my bed and slap the phone onto my bedside, where it lands on my right hand. I quickly select Takagi on my contact list and called her number.

Before long, I hear a cheerful voice from the other side.

Takagi "Nishikata, are you alright? It's still early in the morning."

Nishikata: "I'm sorry if I woke you up-"

I cough violently again.

Takagi: "Oh dear! That sounded awful!"

Nishikata: "D-Don't worry about me, it's just a little cold."

Takagi: "Is there anything I can do for you?"

Nishikata: "I'm just here calling so that I can say-"

My coughing is so bad that I don't even get a chance to finish my sentence before my finger slips and accidentally makes the call end.

Crap, my phone is dead as well.

I close my eyes and feel another nightmare enveloping me.

In it, I see Takagi standing on the school rooftop, tears streaming down her face. She takes a step forward and-

I reach out to her and grab her waist before she can jump off.

Just as I do, black mist covers everything and the scene distorts. My eyes open, and I filled with anxiety.

My eyes struggle to stay open for much longer. They close again, and I see Takagi sitting on the floor of her room, covering her face with her hands as she cries loudly.

In the dream, I try to walk up to her, only to find myself unable to move. I try calling out to her, but my voice is gone.

Eventually she gets up and shows me her face to reveal a pair of red eyes that burns with hatred for me failing her.

Just as she lunges at me with screams that she detests me for neglecting her, the dream distorts and changes again.

I find myself alone in the darkness. All I can hear is my won heartbeat. Then suddenly, I see Takagi walking towards me, asking why I never supported her when she suffered, and why I only lived for myself.

She then starts repeating the word 'why' over and over again, before the voice magnifies and duplicates. Until I hear an entire choir asking me why I was such a terrible friend.

Nishikata: "I'm...sorry..."

I hear myself pleading with voices, but they don't let up. They start accusing me, pointing to the events why I was such a blockhead for not knowing all the hints that she gave to me.