Chapter Ten

Maria walked into the convent, same time as she has been doing for the past two weeks, since she saw her daughter. She couldn't gather the strength to talk to her. She just wanted to be watching her from afar, for now.
She sat on the molded chair, waiting to see the children push open the door, like they used to. She sat there quietly, the weather is cool and the sun is starting to set, casting it's orange light on her. She didn't block it and suddenly she found herself back when she was in school, with Raymond. And Frank.
They were her friends. Her only friends. They would hang out together like they were siblings. Playing in the field after school and watching the sunset every evening before going home. She had fallen in love with Frank, a long time before he found out, but Raymond knew all along, he had told her when he confessed his own feelings to her.
She and Frank finally got together after school and they were so crazy in love, even though he doesn’t have all that makes up a prince charming to her, he’s rather rugged, she couldn’t help but love him. He was so matured for his age, he wasn’t calm like Raymond nor was he from a humble background like her. She dived in without thinking.
Things went too far and she got pregnant. At first it didn't bother her, they were going to get married. But things went so wrong. Her father had died years back and her mother remarried and got other children, whom she cared so much about. She gave them the best of everything, unlike her. She gave them her whole attention. She didn't care if she came back late nor ask her why her cloth is so dirty and all rumpled likeshe used to.
She was going to marry Frank and move to a quiet place, with a pool and a garden, have children, live as they wanted and be free.
But what about her family?
What about her mother?
What would she think of her?
Her mother has always said she took after her, she was her lovely daughter until she remarried and had other daughters and ever since she had fought to get her mother to only look at her. When she told her about marrying Frank immediately after summer, her mother had told her that she's still young for marriage. She had told her to study more, explore life more before she thinks about getting married, she told her a lot of things and she believed her because she adored her. But it was hard to do.
She lied to hermother that she had gone to study but stayed with Raymond. She was trying to think it through. Would her mother say the same thing if she knew that she’s pregnant? She couldn't imagine how much she adored her mother, that she was able to let Frank and everything they had go, it still hurts her.
She broke up with Frank, which was the hardest thing she has ever done, but what about the baby? She never told her mother about the baby.
During the months she stayed with Raymond, it was the hardest. She was young and pregnant. She felt alone, throughout the cramps and pains and aches and hunger. She watched the news, she watched her own family through the news. The pain increased when she learnt that her elder siblings died in an accident, now she's all alone. That night she walked into the woods, she had lost it already, she couldn't face her mother neither can she take it anymore. She was in a daze, she was just walking, lost.
Raymond had come home early that evening after hearing the news of her iblings death but couldn't find her. He searched everywhere until he heard a scream. He found her hanging off a shallow cliff, she had slipped and went into labor that same time.
Raymond held her hand and tried to drag her out, he gripped a root beside him to help drag her up While he struggled to drag, he felt the root tearing his skin yet he held strong till he was able to drag her up. He couldn't ask for help, he couldn't leave her alone to look for help, he had to do what he can. He watched and held her as she screamed and pushed for the baby and he was the first to hold the baby when it came out.
When she woke up the next day, she found herself in a local hospital not far from Raymond's, the first thing that came to her mind was to go home.
And that's what she did.
That’s all she did.

She felt a small hand on her face and a little boy was standing before her,
"you're crying", he said and Maria touched her face, she was lost in her memory that she didn't notice when the children ran out.
"you're sad", the little boy said, "here, mummy said candies makes people happy",
Maria took the candy from the boy with a smile,
"thank you dear", she said to him and he smiled.
"what's your name?", she asked him,
"Peter! Am so sorry, he's always running off", Maria stood up on seeing her daughter grab her grandson by the hand,
"its fine, he's a good boy", she said nervously, staring at her,
"yes, he is, should we go and see daddy?",
"yes!", little Peter said, they waved at Maria and walked away.
She felt her heart hurting. Shrinking.
She looked at her left and Fr. Raymond was standing there with Sis. Philomena. He walked to her and sat beside her,
"how long are you going to wait till you tell her",
"just awhile", she said as tears rolled down her face, then she burst out crying. He held her to his chest.
Things went so wrong, he thought.
______________________________________
Seth kept checking himself out in his mirror, he took out different shirts, checking them out.
"going somewhere?", he turned to see Gina standing by the door,
"sorry, the...door was open", she apologized immediately,
Seth stared at her stomach, he hasn't paid attention to her lately, her stomach is suddenly bulging out, not big, just a little noticeable, he was beginning to think she might not be pregnant.
He dropped the shirt he was holding, finally choosing the one he'll wear. Gina walked in slowly and stood by the wall with her back against it. She watched him put on his shirt, then his shoes.
"wow, you…shaved too, is it a party, a date?", she tried to hold a conversation,
Seth stopped and stared at her,
"what do you want?", he asked and turned to get his tie,
"hmm... Nothing", she said, Seth watched her through the mirror, she's staring at her feet, playing with it, he shook his head and tried to get the tie right.
"let me help you", he turned to see her right behind him, she slowly raised her hands to help him, he allowed her.
"I used to watch my dad do it, just once or twice, he's not actually a suit man, am not sure am getting it right though", it was weird that she is touching him and weirder that he allowed her to. When she was done she patted it softly,
"okay", she said and he turned to see himself in the mirror, it wasn’t so good, it looked a bit bumpy,
"uhmm, but if you're trying to impress a girl, you don't have to look so official and all, you can do without the tie, like this", she walked to him and loosed the tie and tried to lose his button,
"what are you doing?", he asked pushing off her hand,
She stared at him and anger rushed through her for two seconds,
"chill", she said to him, then loosed two buttons exposing his chest, "there",
She gave him a look down, "I think this will do, good luck", she said and left the room.
Seth stared at the door for awhile, then at himself in the mirror, he looked at his half open chest, she actually touched him, he thought looking at the door again. He buttoned it and picked his tie and left.

Seth walked into the crowded hall, he didn't expect he'll be there, at Katy's party.  They almost had something in the past, but it didn't work out, not his fault, she claimed it was love, but he knows women like her and what they are capable of. His grandmother, for example, married two powerful men, he clearly saw how it all ended.
He saw her talking with her guests, their eyes met just for some seconds. He won’t deny that Katy is beautiful and a financial icon that could really boost him, but she always smells like danger.
"hey man", Liam said and they both greeted,
"told you she's an amazing woman, still dashing, you're about to make a score man", he said nudging him,
"I knew you'd make it, you even dressed for it, I mean, who won't fall for Katy", he said and Seth almost rolled his eyes,
"so, how's Gina?",
"fine",
"and lonely, I guess", Seth looked at his friend, but he didn't spare him a glance but went ahead to greet people he knows.
Seth stood there, thinking about what Gina could've wanted to ask him, she obviously wanted something, then he thought about her previous request and her hand on his chest. He blinked and looked around him, his eyes caught Katy staring at him across the hall, she raised a glass at him and winked.
Liam watched from across the hall.
______________________________________
Gina walked to the garden and sat there, she’s always surprised how calm and quiet everywhere usually is, she thought there would be lots of maid servants and workers in such mansion, even though, everywhere is always neat, the flowers are pruned, the grasses too. She stood up and walked around, studying the flowers but the smell suddenly started irritating her. Nowadays, she's been feeling weak and nauseous. She went inside and turned on the tv, but fell asleep not long.
When she woke up, her whole body was aching and every where was dark. She stood up and felt a pull, she stood there for a while till it stopped and gently walked to the fridge to take a glass of water. While she drank, she stared at the calendar on the wall, she's been ticking the dates and soon she will be moving to her second trimester, in weeks time, she’s currently on the seventh week. The last time Cate came for the prenatal checkups, she used a doppler ultrasound scanner to check the baby’s heartbeat and condition. It was hard to believe that she is actually pregnant, but she didn’t want to think about it. She's already tired of everything, she wished things could go fast. She checked the time and took the vitamins.
She walked around the house but there's no sign of Seth, she walked back to her room and slid into her duvet. It felt so comfortable. She felt her body ache and a slight headache. She ignored it and tried to go back to sleep.
______________________________________
Seth finally had a personal moment with Katy.
They walked slowly through the lighted garden, with wine in their hands.
They talked about business for awhile and switched to their personal lives. Katy doing almost all the talking. She asked about the inheritance but he told her he's working on it.
They finally sat down by the pool, with their backs at it. Katy started getting flirty. She slid her hand into Seth's open shirt and kissed him. She looked at him to respond but he didn't, she went for more but Seth held her hand and slowly pushed her away.
They sat quietly, Katy was slightly annoyed, but she knows Seth and this time she's prepared for him, she's not ready to let him go, not again.
Seth knew it was the cue to create something between the two of them but he just can't do it. While he was still thinking, Katy pushed him into the pool and joined him. Seth was upset, but Katy kept laughing. She had to drag him to her room to change.
"are you leaving?", she asked him when he was done,
"yes, I have to go",
"even if I ask you not to?",
Seth turned to see her standing naked, her body looking so tanned by the golden light shining in the room. She walked to him and wrapped her tiny hands around him, then she kissed him passionately,
"I can give you a baby", she whispered to him and Seth took her lips. He grabbed her tiny waist and carried her to the soft bed.
Seth came back in the morning, he walked into the kitchen expecting to see Gina there but she wasn't there, he checked his study and slowly walked to her room. He knocked twice and then opened the door. He found her lying on her bed, a glass broken on the floor. He rushed to her, he felt her head, she was running hot with fever. He searched for his phone and called Cate.
Few minutes later, Cate came. She checked on Gina,
"how's she?", Seth asked,
"she's fine, its just a normal pregnancy fever, but she'll be fine, soon, how's her diet?",
"good",
"I should be checking up on her regularly but am almost due, I'll assign another doctor and don't worry, I trust her, she’s one of the best", Seth nodded,
"and lastly, she doesn't look well, I mean...apart from her fever, she's pregnant and depressed, which is very bad for the baby. She needs a companion, exercise, a good diet and something to make her comfortable, okay", She patted his shoulder and left him standing beside Gina's bed.
Liam walked in after Cate left.
"is she good?", he asked, Seth nodded,
"yea",
They went to his study.
"what happened?",
"I came back and saw her-",
"you spent the night with Katy?", Seth looked at him, Liam smiled,
"that's it man!", he said hitting his shoulder,
"its nothing", Seth said. They heard the door bell,
"you expecting anyone?",
"no",
"I'll get it", Liam came back seconds later, with Katy behind him.
"hey", she said, Seth stood there, surprised.
"okay man, see ya later", he winked and pecked Katy goodbye.
"how did you get in?", Seth asked as Katy sat down,
"I still have the pass", she dropped the card on his table, "you should at least welcome me first",
"I just left your house", he said pouring himself a drink,
"and I miss you already", she sat up and went to him and hugged him from the back, he removed her tiny hands.
"wine?",
"yea", She followed him to the mini bar, Seth brought out a bottle of red wine and two glasses,
"oh...you still remember my favorite", she smiled and took the glass from him,
"how's Tricia? haven't seen her in a long time, she rejected my invitation too",
"I don't know", he said and she stared at him for awhile,
"marry me", Seth choked on his drink, he was hitting his chest while she laughed,
"you're all so rigid and strong but I know your weaknesses", she wrapped her hands around him and kissed him, he untangled it again, almost pushing her away. Just then they heard a sound,
"did you hear that?",
"what?", Seth pretended he didn’t hear it,
"it’s like it’s coming that…way", she tried to follw the sound but Seth her back,
"sit here, I'll check it out", He walked to the kitchen, Gina was wiping the water that poured on the floor,
"what the hell are you doing up here, I have a visitor!",
"a-am sorry, I was thirsty", she said and took a can of water and left the kitchen,
"anything?", Seth turned sharply,
"I told you to sit down!", he dragged her to the door,
"you have to leave",
"you're kicking me out?",
"something came up", She looked at him for awhile and nodded,
"tonight then, dinner, 8:30pm", she pecked him and left. Seth watched as she drove off and walked to Gina's room.
She was sitting on her bed with the can of water, half way down. As if waiting for him, she just raised her eyes to look at him,
"sorry, I was really thirsty", she said and lay on her bed, her back against him. She felt something drop on the bed,
"if you need anything, just call me, don't ever! Leave this room without my order!", he said and left. She turned immediately after he left and found a small mobile phone lying on her bed.
She grabbed it and went through it happily, but there was only one number in it.
His
she thought.
She ignored it and quickly dialed Nicki’s number but it didn’t go through, she called Nora but it did same thing.
Fixed dialing?