x v i i i .

"Class is dismissed."

It had been a week since the student and professor had exchanged even a word. For Marie, it was a rather difficult way to endure the days leading up to her 21st birthday.

Nevertheless, the Friday of her special day arrived. Ashly and Caleb had already showered Marie with best wishes and compliments, the two of them now arguing over where her birthday lunch was going to take place.

"We're going to the café down the street. It's final." Ashly left zero room for argument as she shut off her iPad and got up from her desk.

"Fine," Caleb replied, rolling his eyes. "Let me text Grace real quick."

Marie had almost forgotten she was finally getting to meet Caleb's mysterious girlfriend, Grace.

Marie was immensely grateful for her two friends - two friends she made because of Nathaniel's class. The three were inseparable after weeks of getting to know each other, from late-night taco runs to reciting flashcard terms together. It all helped keep Marie's serotonin levels up.

Unfortunately, Marie's mind was currently somewhere else. She couldn't care less where they were going for lunch.

She had woken up the day of her birthday with one pivotal mission.

Talk to Nathaniel after class.

Marie's emotions were all over the place to the point she had completely given up trying to pinpoint them. She was confused, grateful, happy and sad, mad and elated... and upset.

Upset at herself for putting her vulnerability on the line - and upset at Nathaniel for being... well, perfect.

Marie didn't want to apologize. She just wanted to explain herself and end things on a better note. Otherwise, the tension and awkwardness were going to consume her.

"Hey, you guys can head over and grab a table," Marie informed her two friends. "I need to talk to Dr. Dameron about my grade. I'm hoping he'll be nice to me because it's my birthday."

"Aw, of course." Ashly pouted, expressing sympathy. "There's usually a long wait anyway. Caleb and I will go pick up Grace and meet ya there."

The three of them agreed on the plan, Caleb and Ashly leaving the classroom while Marie stayed in her seat. She waited till the hall was empty - leaving only herself and a certain psychology professor.

Nathaniel noticed Marie still lingering, but didn't make an attempt to initiate conversation. It was her safeword spoken after all. He put her comfort over his curiosity.

The young student got up from her seat and made her way to the front of the room. Nathaniel was standing in front of his desk as she approached, her hesitance and nervousness on full display.

Marie took a deep breath. "I don't really know what to say or how to begin, but I - "

"Marie." Nathaniel's sharp voice put a stop to Marie's in an instant. Her eyes met his, a hint of warmth in the otherwise cold steel hue.

"Happy birthday."

Marie blushed, her eyes falling to her shoes. "Thank you, professor."

Marie's voice was as soft as an Angel's, fiddling with the sleeves of her slightly oversized sweatshirt. Nathaniel could tell the girl was jittery and wanted to quickly assuage any stress.

"As to what you're referring to..." Nathaniel began speaking, fighting the urge to take a few steps closer in an attempt to keep space. "You used your safeword, Marie. You were uncomfortable and needed things to stop. I will always respect that decision. You don't need to explain yourself."

"But I want to."

Marie's sexual tendencies may be submissive, but outside the bedroom was different.

"I said it because I was scared, Nathaniel."

Nathaniel. It was the student's first time using the professor's first name. It was the loveliest sound he had ever heard - right before Marie's moans, that is.

Nathaniel didn't reply, letting Marie continue.

"You gave me everything I could've asked for - and more," Marie spoke honestly. "I really meant it when I said thank you."

The professor couldn't shake the feeling of guilt he had. He was older, more experienced... this was his responsibility. 

It was as if Marie was reading his mind. "You didn't hurt me. Not like that."

Nathaniel took in Marie's words before responding. "You said you were scared... why?"

Marie's adrenaline had started picking up its pace. She began hesitating, not sure how to phrase her racing thoughts.

"I'm listening, Marie," Nathaniel encouraged, his velvet voice soothing Marie's nerves.

The professor closed the gap between the two. Marie's tension dissipated the second Nathaniel's secure hands gently held her shoulders, allowing her to answer .

"You're my professor. And the only that scares me about it...". Marie couldn't meet Nathaniel's eyes. "Is that I don't care."

The room stilled as the atmosphere was filled with Marie's heavy words. They lingered in the professor's mind after she had spoken them.

Nathaniel's career was at its peak. His dream aspiration of being president of a university was literally tangible. The girl standing in front of him could ruin all of it - only one wrong person needed to find out. Nathaniel's reputation would be gone in seconds.

Did he care?

In the very moment, with Marie's doe-brown eyes looking into him with longing, Nathaniel couldn't give less of a fuck.

Occasionally, Nathaniel's dominant side would take over outside the bedroom. No often, but when it did, it was potent. No one - no rules - could dictate his desires.

If he wanted his student, he'd have her.

Marie watched as Nathaniel pondered, deep in thought. Replaying Marie's words and letting reality settle in.

The reality was he wanted Marie just as much as she wanted him.

She accepted his sadist tendencies while others would run away in horror. Marie understood him. She understood depths of him that even Nathaniel himself was still figuring out.

Finding someone like that was rare. They both knew that.

They couldn't let their bond slip away.

"Just tell me what to do, Nathaniel," Marie's voice wavered.

The professor felt his forehead touch with Marie's. The close proximity of her body was enough to consume him. No one - man or woman - had ever had this effect on him.

With careful words and a low tone, Nathaniel made his offer. "What are your plans for tonight?"

"I'm just having lunch with Ashly and Caleb after this." Marie felt herself fall in closer to the professor as his hands glided down her arms. "I'm free tonight."

"I'd like to take you out to dinner then. We can talk. Consider it for your birthday."

Marie suppressed a smile. "Is that an offer or an order?"

Nathaniel caught glimpse of the devilish glint that never seemed to leave Marie's eyes.

"I'll pick you up at 6. Be ready and wear something nice."

"Yes, sir."