x x v i i .

Marie placed her family's ornate china amongst their dinner table, taking extra caution not to chip or break any of the delicate ceramic.

Her mother had tasked her with setting the table and helping out in the kitchen in preparations for their annual Thanksgiving meal. All while Rian, Marie's brother, played video games the entire day and her father watched cricket.

Ah, nothing tasted better than good old-fashioned sexism.

Marie knew better than to argue. She had spent her entire childhood doing that and it got her nowhere. So she sucked it up for today.

Trying to stay positive, Marie walked into the kitchen and watched as her mother cooked a classic rice and jackfruit dish. "It looks really good, Ma."

"If only you'd learn to cook it," Marie's mother retorted back. Marie had always pushed back against learning her womanly duties. She would purposefully fold her laundry awfully to spite her mother.

Marie made sure to turn her head completely away from her mother before rolling her eyes. This woman could never take a compliment.

Alongside her mother, Marie set the entire table with dishes and food that filled the air with a seasoned aroma. After they were done, Marie's mother called for her younger son and husband.

Marie sat down in the same place she would sit for every family dinner growing up. Rian and her father entered the dining room and sat in their respective places too.

"Did you help out, Marianna?" Marie's father asked, giving her a brief pat on her back.

"Yeah," Marie responded curtly.

Marie could recall last years Thanksgiving. Most notably, it entailed Marie informing her family how the holiday was mostly an apologist movement to overlook the atrocities indigenous people faced in the hands of the United States. The dinner ending with Marie's mother scolding her for ruining the mood.

"Everyone give thanks," Marie's mother instructed. The Mor family wasn't particularly religious, with only a few theist pieces adorning their house, but they continued family traditions.

The table took a moment of silence before Marie's mother began plating the food around.

Fuck, Marie was starving.

Marie filled her plate with seasoned rice, roasted veggies, and curried spicy broth. After weeks of cheap campus food and take-out, Marie's body craved something actually nutritional.

She indulged herself, knowing her mother was silently judging her mannerisms as Marie ate without care.

"How's school, Rian?" Marie asked, initiating conversation. Rian looked up from his plate.

"It's alright," Rian replied, Marie noticing how much deeper his voice had gotten since she had last seen him. "Mr. Grant is really mean, though."

"Yeah, he sucked." Marie and Rian shared a moment of agreement as their mother glared at them for Marie's crude remark.

While Marie took after her mother with her sharp mouth and equally sharp features, Rian took after his father's laid-back approach to life. If someone wore the pants in Marie's parents' marriage, it was definitely her mother.

"Tell us about college, Marianna," Marie's mother insisted, the sound of silverware against plates filling the small room.

"It's going well. I'm liking my second year more than my first," Marie answered truthfully.

"You're settling in, that's good," Marie's father finally spoke. The young girl disliked how all the attention was on her now. This was going to go south.

"That and... I've met a lot of new people this semester." Marie picked at her eggplant. "I'm taking this psychology class on deviant behavior. The professor, Dr. Dameron, is highly acclaimed. He's going to be the president of the college next year."

Marie's mother nodded. "I think I've heard the name."

"Na - er, Professor Dameron is great. I've talked to him... a bit." Marie treaded very carefully with her words.

"That's great, Marie." Marie's mother looked genuinely impressed. "That's a good way network."

Yeah... networking.

Marie continued, knowing the subject she wanted to approach delicately. "He told me he's got connections within the history department as well and could link me up with great study abroad opportunities."

Marie could see both her parents slowly glance at each other. This conversation had happened in the past, starting when Marie began applying to colleges.

"Shouldn't you be looking at opportunities in business and economics, Marie? It is your major," Marie's mother pointed out.

Drawing circle in her rice, Marie looked up at Rian who was completely disengaged from the conversation. He shouldn't have to see this.

"I'm interested in history. I'd like to pursue it any chance I get, at least on the side." Marie noticed her mother open her mouth to retort but cut her off. "I can do a minor, Ma. I didn't say I was changing my major."

"Marianna, you have to think about your career," Marie's mother lectured.

"Your mother's right."

Marie wanted to throw a potato at her father in the moment.

"God, it's my life." Marie was starting to get frustrated. She sounded like a teenager going through a rebellious phase in middle school - except she was twenty-one and living alone.

"And your father is paying half your tuition."

Cue the glaring contest.

Marie gripped her fork. "Really? You're going to threaten to pull out from financially supporting my education because I don't wanna study what you want me to. Fucking hell."

"Please don't curse at the dinner table, Marianna," Marie's mother sighed in exasperation.

Her father attempted to interject. "Ladies - "

The two strong-headed women immediately cut back at the same time. "Do not call us ladies."

Marie's mother was hitting her limit - as was Marie. "I just wanted a nice dinner."

"Me, too," Marie exclaimed in response, her voice raising slightly.

Silence fell over the dinner table.

Finally, Marie's father spoke. "We just want what's best for you, Marianna."

Marie gave up. She didn't respond. The rest of the dinner went by more quietly, conversation mostly surrounding Rian and her father's recent promotion.

The family cleaned up the table swiftly and without too many words. Marie could feel her body get more and more tired, her mind mentally spent. She just needed some air.

Marie excused herself and exited her house to go on a walk. She wandered around the sidewalks that branched out from her house and connected to others in the neighborhood. Marie smiled as she looked up at the emerging stars, remembering how 10-year-old her would always threaten to run away but only make it to the next block over before returning home. She couldn't help but be afraid of the dark.

Taking a small loop around her neighborhood, Marie let the silent air and faint crickets chirping soothe her nerves. The November air was cool and crisp against her skin. She ran her hands over her goosebumps.

She closed her eyes and imagined they were Nathaniel's hands.

Marie missed him.

She loved the stability he carried himself with. The confidence and determination. The professor had earned Marie. He showed and gave her trust... and love.

Love. It was a powerful and beautiful force.

It was something Marie thought she would never understand. Until now.