x i x .

Caleb and Grace were probably the cutest couple Marie had ever laid eyes on.

The two were constantly giggling to themselves, playfully nudging each other, and playing a way too obvious game of footsy. Somehow they were able to double third-wheel both Marie and Ashly together.

Marie would've never put Caleb and Grace together. While Caleb donned a Carhartt beanie and Thrasher tee, Grace had round doe-like clear glasses with a pin-straight blunt bob. Who puts the stoner drop-out and library volunteer together?

The four of them picked at their food, often stealing from each other's plates consistently, as Grace and Ashly discussed their medical school aspirations. The topic then shifted to...

"How Dameron's class?" Grace asked, the name embarrassingly peaking Marie's interest. "I literally scheduled as early as I could so I could get into a different psychology class."

"It's not too bad, but it still sucks," Ashly responded, grabbing a kale chip off her plate. "Ask Marie though. She's always talking to him after class."

"It's only been four times." Marie immediately cringed at her answer. Who the fuck keeps count?

If it wasn't for the fact that she was seeing Nathaniel that very night, maybe Marie wouldn't be so on edge.

Grace saved Marie from any chastisement. "I'm excited for a new administration, though. The current ones keep cutting funding to all the departments and filling their pockets instead."

"Yeah, Professor Dameron seems like someone who could run shit. I mean, have you seen the guy?" Caleb chuckled, putting his arm over Grace sweetly. "Not you though, babe, keep your eyes off him."

"I mean, he is hot." Ashly turned towards Marie. "Come on, even you have to admit it."

Marie just smiled and nodded. 

Grace fell into a fit of innocent giggles. "Having a crush on your professor? That's so wrong."

So is having his cock down your throat, Marie couldn't help but think to herself. Grace's obvious naivety made her smile.

"Speaking of crushes," Caleb announced, pointing his fork at both Marie and then Ashly. "Any updates? "

Grace nudged Caleb at his intrusive question and scolded him. He ignored it, instead just lightly booping her against the nose.

While the ditzy intimacy the couple displayed mostly made Marie uncomfortable, part of her was wishful - even though she had spent most of her life turning down contemporary relationship ideals. It never felt in her nature.

But could she see her and Nathaniel being like that?

Whoa. Where did that thought come from?

Luckily, Caleb had noticed Ashly's attempt to detach herself from the conversation by feigning much interest in her spinach salad. "I know that look, Miss Harmon..."

Ashly immediately blushed, sinking into her seat at the booth.

"Oh my god, spill," Marie pushed on.

"Ugh, fine." Ashly caved in, but it was clear she was enjoying the chance to overshare. "There's this girl in my anatomy class. She's from Ukraine. I keep asking her for help on homework just to hear her accent."

Caleb, Grace, and Marie aww-ed and hyped Ashly up, convincing the embarrassed girl to ask her crush out. Eventually, she promised to call the girl tonight and potentially go out for a few drinks.

"Speaking of drinks," Caleb chimed, now turning to Marie as his next victim. "Happy 21st birthday to Miss Marie Mor. Please tell me you plan on having lots of fun tonight - after all, you turned down my and Ashly's offer to hit every bar in the city."