x x x i i i .

Theodore had told Nathaniel that Stinton was not on the invite list.

Either way, they were in each other's presence. The other guests surrounding them - along with Marie herself - could feel the tension around them.

Stinton appeared not to recognize Marie. She could feel her blood run cold at the thought...

She did not want to jeopardize her professor's aspirations.

Nathaniel knew taking the student in public as his date was a risk. He had weighed it all and knew that if he were to do such a thing, this event was the only chance. Especially since he - well, he thought - he could influence the invite list due to his friendship with Theodore.

The three men greeted each other professionally, artificially bypassing any awkwardness. Marie knew this was not the time to test any of Nathaniel's rules. Thus, she remained at his side, her arm looped with his.

Stinton eventually addressed her. "And this must be the - ah, future university first lady, if you will. Of course, if things go accordingly, Nathaniel."

Just like Marie, Theodore also knew Nathaniel was not a man to be messed with. So, the friend interjected.

"Let's remain cordial, Richard."

Nathaniel and Stinton kept their gazes on each other in a challenging fashion. Marie almost wanted to break the two up like a fight.

But Stinton didn't back down. "You're not seen with women publicly much, Nathaniel."

Marie wanted to hide. Nathaniel needed to tread very carefully and raise as little suspicion as possible. The last thing he needed was Stinton getting any idea of his relationship with a student - a breach of protocol of the highest level. It could force him to lose his seat and disgrace the university as a whole.

Nathaniel's jaw clenched as he made a distressing decision. He forced himself to disregard Marie's feelings for a split second to just get Stinton off his fucking back. If he even insinuated that Marie was someone serious, the man would start investigating...

"Well, it's good for public image. I think you'd understand."

Marie stilled.

The student knew her professor, his tones and demeanor, when he meant something. After the sentence left this mouth, Marie felt an unbearable drop in her stomach, like her heart and mind constricted itself in disgusted pain.

The young student could put two and two together to realize Nathaniel was simply trying to appear inconspicuous... but the words couldn't help but sting a little.

Marie felt Nathaniel pull her closer. He silently begged for Marie to play along. He regretted his words in a second.

But it worked.

Stinton only smiled and chuckled. "I'll leave you two to enjoy the night then."

The man disappeared into the crowd, not expecting a thing. But was the close call worth Marie's feelings? Even if Nathaniel didn't mean it, Marie had never heard the professor so... menacing.

I mean, a man of his natures and caliber - you have to walk over people at some point.

Nathaniel's tone as he said his next words to his friend would scare the wits out of anyone. "Theodore..."

"My secretary was in charge of the invite list. I'll take care of it," Theodore replied.

Marie was too caught up in her own thoughts to bother about the two friends' conversation. She knew Nathaniel didn't mean it, and she kept telling herself so.