Not Yet..

***********

Gerald and Aurora set out on their journey to los Angeles in silence the next day. The silence was so awkward it made Aurora squirm. A free- spirited girl like her can't survive a minute without talking.

"I think you should loosen up a bit before you get wrinkles." She started, trying to get Gerald to have a conversation with her. He was still looking on the road not even glancing her way.

"You look on the road like your life depends on it." She burst out trying to make the atmosphere less tensed but Gerald wouldn't budge. She folded her arms.. then placed her hands on her thigh trying to make some sound with her fingers. Gerald was still focusing on the road.

" You know that I come from playa del carmen. It is such a beautiful place, but I had to run. My dad wants me to marry a drug lord in order to pay his allegiance to him. I run because I just couldn't do it. But hey good thing I met you .. now at least you can take me to los Angeles as your wife. "  she ended and Gerald hit his brakes so fast. His head immediately turned and his eyes were filled with rage. It was already enough catastrophe that she was riding with him, now he had to deal with marriage.
" what the fuck did you just say!!" He uttered almost shouting. She giggled trying hard not to annoy him even further.
"I just said that now at least you can take me to los Angeles as your legal wife." She ended with the smile of a castrated kitten . Aurora heard Gerald hitting his steering wheel countless times.

"Listen you don't have to be a child about it, it's just a wedding. When I get my immigration papers we can get a divorce.. and besides you will be very lucky to have me as your wife. And just so you know I can cook so well and I......""
"Enough!! ... can't you keep your trap shut. You are such a blubber mouth. Don't you get tired of opening and closing your mouth." Gerald was already screaming by the time he was done. He was just irritated that he couldn't control it anymore.  Aurora burst out .. she couldn't stop laughing at him.
"Did you see your face? Do you ever stop talking..?". She imitated him and  continued to laugh.
"You should try looking at yourself in the mirror you look so pumped up."  Aurora's laughter became contagious but Gerald didn't want to give her the satisfaction she wanted. He started the car and they started their journey, each not uttering a word to the other. Aurora started humming a song and tapping her feet. She reached out her hands and turned on the radio. Hey I just met you and this is crazy but here's my number so call me maybe. Aurora had by that time started screaming and screeching the song to the dismay of Gerald. He felt as though his life was just getting started. They had already reached Mexico city and were planning on sleeping over for the night. As they were about to enter the hotel room they heard gunshots. Gerald managed to save Aurora and get her out of the way. They hid behind their car and realized a car pass by with two men sitting at the front seat of the car. They were chased by the police but escaped.
"Are you ok? Did you get hurt?" Gerald held Aurora so close to his chest. Aurora was shivering and her hands suddenly turned cold. Gerald removed his coat and put it around her.
"They will kill me ... they will find me ... we can't stay here, we have to leave!" Aurora was so scared, she could not even stand on her feet.
"Aurora relax I am here with you. I will take you to los Angeles safely and that is a promise. "
Gerald didn't even believe his ears. He was just taking responsibility for someone he barely knew and liked. He took her to the hotel room after he booked a room.
"Go and take a shower and I'll order something for us." Gerald told her and she nodded before entering the bathroom. She took Gerald's shirt to the bathroom since she didn't have any clothes. Gerald ordered some tacos with juice for her and black coffee for himself. Aurora came out of the bathroom wearing Gerald's shirt, it was above her knee , exposing her long sexy legs. He couldn't take his eyes of her when she came out of the bathroom.

"Hey Mr, my face is up here" she told him, bringing him out of his daydream.
"Your food is on the table." He pointed while drinking his coffee. Their room had a balcony so he went outside to take some fresh air and to admire Mexico city. Eventhough he has had a rough two days experience,  he still loved Mexico a lot, because it brought good memories. Aurora came to stand by him busily munching on tacos.

"You should never overthink like that... you might get wrinkles" she said with her mouth full and giggled.
"And you should not talk with your mouth full." He countered. She looked at him unperturbed and swallowed her food while closing an eye.
"I know that I don't behave classy like the LA girls but I love being me. The simple girl from playa del carmen who cares about her family and all the love they have to offer. I love being that country girl who finds happiness in the little things. I find happiness in making others happy." She finished the rest of her taco before facing the city. Taking in some air she stretched out her hands.
"Hey cheer up ... whatever is going on in your life is not the end of the world." She hit him playfully.

"You are the only thing going on in my life.. and a drug lord wants you dead. I don't think I have much of an option than to think." He said placing his coffee down before leaving to sleep on the couch. Aurora stared at him and sighed. "Thanks" is all she muttered before going to bed herself.

********
They rode in silence. Gerald had woken her up early to go for shopping. After the endless struggle to find the simplest of clothes, she chose a few and they left to have a bite. Gerald was surprised at how much she could swallow at a time. She was more concerned about not wasting food than about her life. After the breakfast he took her to the court.

"Errr what are we doing here? " Aurora asked confused and surprised.
"If you want to get out of Mexico alive, then follow me" he uttered and left to meet the judge. She shrugged and allowed things to happen. After a few minutes the judge was ready for the ceremony.
"Wait are we going to get married? " she asked with a tinge of excitement in her voice.
"Yes blubber mouth... we are" Gerald said in an exasperated manner.
"No ... I won't marry you until you propose to me" she said, trying to suppress a laugh. Gerald shot her an I'll kill you glance. She still stood there, arms folded and waiting to see him kneel down.
"Aurora Hermendez will you marry me?" He forced himself not to choke. She smiled and nodded.
"Hey grumpy you didn't need to do this" she burst out.

The judge got them married after 30 minutes and they headed back to their hotel room. The ride was awkward...and tense.
"Now that we are legally married we can take a flight back to los Angeles. You do not have your immigration papers, so this is going to be the only to get you out of here." Gerald was on the balcony trying to get some fresh air when Aurora hugged him from behind. He stiffened and his muscles tensed up.
" Thank you" she said almost above a whisper. Gerald got out of her grip, he was done with women and their unnecessary drama.
"Yeah yeah... don't get so excited blubber mouth.. I am only saving your life." He told her with a tight jaw.
"Hey, that is not what you said when you proposed to me." She laughed hard.
"Don't you ever get sad... or serious?" Gerald asked out of the blue,  he was surprised at how a person can be happy when she has a drug lord chasing after her life.
"Yes I get serious... when I have to remove all the pickles I have in my food." She burst out again. Aurora was not the type of person who allowed the fear of dying overshadow her right to live.

"I would rather die happy than die in fear. I am not going to allow Verdugo scare the happiness out of me." She said  before going to bed.
Gerald stared into the night and sighed.
" I just got myself a wife" he mouthed before closing his eyes.

Hey thank you guys so much for the response to this book. It is very nice that you are supporting this book as much as you did the first one.

Aurora and Gerald just got married. But was that advisable??? Click on the small star to find out.
Love y'all Marcia. ❤❤🥰.