23: Freedom

Lilly's PoV.:

I was walking in a city. I didn't recognize it but it felt close to me as if I have been here before. At times it turned into ruins right in front of my eyes. Then I blinked and everything was intact once again. It was definitely not built by humans. The structures were way more complex and all of the buildings were five times bigger than a human skyscraper. After a while, as the Sun came up dragons filled the streets. As the sun shone on the buildings they felt a little cave-like but they still were well made and for sure made by the dragons. I felt like an outsider but not too much to leave. I kept on walking. Red flashed before my eyes once again and I saw destroyed buildings and dead dragons. Blinking, the image disappeared once more. A little fledgling stumbled across the streets, struggling to keep herself in the air. She had light-blue scales all over her body except for the bones on her wings. There was a line of black scales covering them. I recognized that special look. It was special as most dragons had one color and those that had two had their wings fully covered in the second color.
"Sylesia?" I thought to myself but she looked at me as if she heard me. The loss of focus caused her to fly right into a building. She stood up and shook herself causing her scales to reflect the light in a strange way. She looked around and rested her gaze on me. I stopped in my tracks and stared back at her.
"How did you know my name?" she asked not daring to come closer.
"I..." I wasn't sure what was going on or if I should tell her. "I know your older self," I said to her deciding that maybe it will help her somehow, or she can help me figure out what's going on.
"You're..." she looked surprised. "But they were said to be all killed" She didn't make sense at all. "Why are you here?" she asked.
"I have no clue" I replied. "I hoped you could tell me that" the ground shook under us and every dragon stopped where they were. I knew what was going on. If Sylesia was still a fledgling than this was the moment the dragon society was destroyed. "You have to go," I told Sylesia as I realized it. My heart was racing and I started to panic. "You have to leave before it starts" I ran to her and grabbed her in my arms. Seeing my panic she spread her wings and took off from my arms.

I sat up outside a cave panting. The Sun was rising, filling the forest with light. A shadow landed beside me and I could tell that it was examining me. It took me a minute to realize where I was.
"Sylesia," I said with relief and jumped up to hug her. I was so happy to see her outside of my dream and in weel shape. When I let her go she shook herself and the light was basically dancing on her scales. She seemed so free and happy here. More than ever to be honest. I saw something in her eyes that was never there before. It was beyond happiness. She belonged here.
"You're..." she said as she looked at me. I didn't know what she was talking about but she did say the same thing in my dream.
"I'm what?" I asked her sitting down to the place I talked with Sara the previous night. She sat down beside me and looked into the rising Sun. I could tell that she was thinking.
"There was a legend among the dragons about people that traveled through time in their dreams. They could see how things happened and they could infiltrate with those events too." Her words were distant and I could tell that she was trying to collect her thoughts about the topic. I could understand it. She spent thousands of years not thinking about this legend. "Once in a dream, I met one. Well, I saw you. I always thought that it was a dream but... Today I heard you talking in your dream and thanks to our connection I also saw bits and pieces of it. You are one of them" she was still looking in the direction of the Sun with longing eyes. She wanted to stay I could feel it through our connection. I could also feel respect. She was amazed that I basically saved her the day her whole world was destroyed. That was the moment we connected. I was ready to make the decision that was the best for Silly. She looked at me clearly feeling my feelings and hearing my thoughts.
"You don't have to," she said. I nodded.
"I know but" I tried to explain what I felt. "For centuries you have been torn apart from the dragons. You had to be with people and besides it being a part of your life you were still alone. Your mother died before she could raise you. I love you but I don't belong here unlike you. Silly, I want to set you free from our bond forever" I felt a pull in my chest after the last sentence and the heat slowly leaving my body. The connection broke between us. It left a sad feeling in me and I could see that Sylesia felt the same way. We were together for very little time but she was literally a part of me. I heard footsteps behind me and turned around along with Sylesia.
"I guess that means we say our goodbyes to you Sylesia" Sara said. "If you come with us, we have to leave" she turned to me.

I stood up and hugged Sylesia probably for the last time in my entire life. She returned it as much as she could and whispered into my mind.
"Thank you Lilly" she let me go and flew away. I and Sara looked after her than the Waverider parked beside us. Both of us got on and we took off into the sunrise.
"Welcome back on board miss Waters. Captain," Gideon said after the time-jump.
"It's good to be back Gideon," I told the AI and left to my room. I went in and laid down on my bed thinking about what happened. I always liked when Silly was outside me. She was basically a prisoner inside my body and yet she was willing to be there. She was like my sister. That remainder me of my sister at home, Cloe. I left her for an adventure and she was okay with that. I left everything behind and yet I kept a part of both Cloe and Sylesia inside me somehow. We time-jumped again and Sara called me to the Bridge.