Chapter one

Alexandria

*Bring* *Bring* *Bring*

I awoke to my alarm clock blaring in my ear. Great another day of getting up at the crack of dawn to get Delilah to daycare and still manage to get to work on time. 

I groaned and rolled out of bed still barely able to open my eyes. Rubbing my eyes I looked to my right to see delilah still sleeping. Slowly shaking her awake I whispered in her ear.

"Deli, it's time to wake up."

She stired and blinked up at me with her large honey browns eyes. This girl was absolutly adorable, with her blonde wavy hair, big almond shaped honey brown eyes, big pink lips, a small button nose, and a beautiful heart shaped face. She was only four years old but she was the smarter child I've ever met. 

"Momma? Can I dwess mwyself twoday?"

I laughed she still had trouble pronouncing some things. 

"Sure honey, you go get dressed I'll make breakfast."

She jumped up excitedly running to the dresser drawerds. Even though the apartment was a tiny one bedroom apartment she never seemed to mind. I hope someday I'm able to afford a better place where she can have her own room. This place is still better from the childrens home where we're both from. 

My parents and brother were killed when I was seven, it was pretty gruesome and I've tried to put it behind me and forget about it. I was put in the home soon after and was there until the day I turned eighteen. As soon as I turned eighteen I pulled together all the money I had scraped together, adopted Delilah and left.

Delilah's story was a little different. When I was seventeen I remember hearing the doorbell ring around midnight. That wasn't a very common occurance so I snuck down the stairs to see who it was. A young woman holding a child who couldn't have been more than a week or two old was a the door. Mrs.Price ushered her in and checked outside to make sure no one was looking. They walked into the next room over speaking queitly to eachother. I tried to queitly walk down the stairs to listen to them better, but Mrs.Price caught me.

"Alexandria what are you doing up?" She scolded me

"Just wondering who was at the door" I replied with my head down.

        Just then the young women came into the room still holding the tiny baby and sobbing. Quickly Mrs. Price took the baby from the woman and handed her off to me, she took the women into a hug trying to calm her down. 

        After Mrs.Price calmed her down the three of us walked into the living room to discuss why she was here. I was still holding her baby. She went into her story of how she got pregnant with her fiance and her family disowned her because she had the child out of wedlock. Even though they were planning to get married her family didn't really care. The womans fiance became her everything but he was a marine and a few weeks back was killed in action. She was poor and tried to get her family to help her take care of her baby girl. They wouldn't have anything to do with her so she had no choice but to give her child up. 

        After her story Mrs. Price sent me upstairs with the baby so she could do some paperwork with the woman. I never even got the mothers name, but I did get the baby's, her name was Delilah. I fell asleep with her in my bed that night. Ever since then I've taken care of her. 

        The children didn't get much attention at the home and were often neglected. That's why I adopted Delilah as soon as I was old enough and left. The building was overcrowded and dirty, the didn't pay attention to any of the children, and the home was in one of the more dangerous parts of New York. I had to get us out of there.

        Back to reality, I started cooking eggs and toast for Deli and I. Soon she was at the table muching away giving me time to inhale my toast and go get ready for work. I work at a small diner near Deli's daycare center. It's called Cisco's diner. It was smack dab in the middle of New York and was a fifty's themed diner, complete with old fashioned burgers, fries, and shakes. 

I threw on black pants and a white shirt. Throwing on my shoes went to the bathroom. I washed my fash, brushed my teeth, ran some water through my hair to tame the curl a bit. I put on some moisturizer and was ready to grab Delilah so she could wash her face and brush her teeth and hair. 

Five minutes later we were out of our tiny run down apartment building and taking our two mile walk to Delilahs daycare. Our apartment buildings was practically falling down it was so old, but because of the age and condition the rent was cheap. I moved in there about three years ago but because of a few problems finding a job at first I was able to work out with out Land Lord a little fix. Our landlords elderly mother lives upstairs and in exchage for taking care of her by cooking and cleaning in the evening we get about fifty percent reduced rent. I love the landlady's granmother though. Her name is Rose and she always make sure to look out for Delilah and I. During Holidays when the daycare is closed and I'm still working she watches Delilah. Every evening we eat dinner with her and sometimes we take her out to eat when we're able to afford it. She's the sweetest lady I've ever met, she's treats Delilah and I like her own children.

        After our long walk to Delilah's daycare I dropped her off and headed towards the diner which was only a block away. The street was crowded and people kept bumping into me, by this point i'm mostly used to it though because people seem to always be in a hurry in this city.

Once inside the diner I greated my boss Frank and headed to the back room to put away my bag and tie on my red apron. I pulled out my little notebook put on a smile and headed out to wait on the many costumer already there to enjoy breakfast. 

I love Cisco's diner but this place got boring between the different rushed. Breakfast rush was normally six to nine in the morning, lunch normally eleven to two and dinner five to eight. Between those times there's usually very few people in the building. So I spend a lot of time sitting at the last booth reading one of the many books Frank keeps in the back room. 

        At six I packed my stuff away and headed out to pick up Delilah and head home. Tonight's the night we promised to cook Rose a Chocolate cake.

____________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading guys. I know this chapter is really boring. I'm just trying to introduce the characters this chapter. The next Chapter will be more interesting or at least I hope you find it more interesting.