seven

the past tells our story from the very beginning

Soul Ties 1:7

Zaïrah

"When I left, a white van was waiting by the end of the road . . . He got out. I mean I think it was him. I wasn't sure at the time. He . . . He grabbed me. I tried to run! He was faster than me, he pulled me into the van and started hitting me. Then . . . Then, he raped me. He told me to remember."

I shivered at the memory and opened my eyes, not allowing myself to go back to that time in life. Karma's name was unspoken because no one wanted to remember those times but I always carried this nightmare around with me; I could never forget. The type of hurt and pain I felt was indescribable. No one could understand. Shantaè didn't know why I had kept my distance but I needed to; how could I be around her when I was developing feelings for Messiah. What made it worse was that I still held those feelings, him coming back didn't help my case.

"Bae, you good?"

Kartel.

I smiled at where he sat beside me in the hospital room and nodded. This wasn't fair on Kartel, him and Messiah were friends and I was feeling both of them.

"Kartel, I have a question," I mumbled.

"What is it?"

"Did Messiah ever tell you if he killed Karma? Do you know for sure if he did?"

Kartel inhaled sharply,"I'm not sure, Zaïrah. It's not really my business."

"Oh."

"Why you asking?"

"I feel like-"

A knock at the door interrupted me, I glanced up and saw Messiah standing there, anger etched into his features.

Kartel stood up, bumped fists with him and excused us.

I rolled my eyes and huffed, what did he want?

"Shouldn't you be with Shantaè?"

"Shut up."

I closed my mouth and sat up straighter, ignoring the dull ache all over my body.

"Why you in a mood?" Messiah questioned.

Lord, he was so fine.

"I'm pretty sure I got shot because of you. Ever since you've come back some weird shit has happened," I snapped.

"Mad," he replied bluntly.

He was so frustrating, it's like he didn't care.

But I wanted him to care about me.

"Do you know what I think?" He said, speaking up.

"What?"

"You knew I was coming back. How? Kartel definitely didn't tell you. You know something weird is going on. How?"

"What are you trying to say?" I whispered.

"I think you're a fucking snake."

Shantaè

I trained my eyes on the apartments in front of me, the pain, the torture - it was all coming back to me.

210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215.

216.

Messiah stopped outside the door and then pushed it open. The door creaked and my breath caught as I analysed the mess in front of me. Tables were turned, the chairs scattered all over the place . . . Blood.