ten

I don't like friends and I don't love much, so my name I beg don't mention

~ Soul Ties 1:10

Shantaè

I stared at the splitting image of my best friend.

My best friend who was dead.

Amara.

This person looked a little more mature but this was exactly how Amara would've looked at this age, if she was alive. The girls smile faltered and she took a step towards me. I stepped back and bumped into Lezain who looked as shocked as me. He had seen pictures of Amara, many of them.

"That's not . . . Nah," Lezain whispered.

And then something happened.

A surge of anger burst out of me, so violent and dangerous it almost scared me.

"Who the fuck are you?" I spat out.

"It's me . . . I know it doesn't seem like it. I know it's hard to explain. But please, let me."

"What do you have to say? I don't even know you," I snapped.

She flinched and then sighed,"I don't know how I'm meant to prove that it's really me."

I folded my arms and stared at her.

She knew exactly how to prove it.

"Renell. Is my ex. I killed him," Amara started,"Karma kidnapped you. That's why you thought I was dead. He didn't kill me, though. I lived. Miraculously."

"How?"

"He disposed of my body in a nearby forest, at the time I was unconscious and I woke up later. I realised that I couldn't live like this anymore. Someone needed to stop it. So I stayed away for a month or so and then I came back. To look for Miah. She was the one that could put an end to this. But when I came back things were different; her sister told me Miah was gone. Daniel was dead, Messiah was gone. It didn't make sense to me. I knew things weren't over. So I left again. Now I'm back."

"But why now?"

What was wrong with everyone? Why did they think it was okay to just pop up again two years later?

"I had to cater to my baby."

"Baby?"

Her eyes brightened,"Yes! God gave me another chance with baby Sola. I named her after your Nigerian name, I never thought I'd be able to have kids again. The doctors were sure my womb was damaged for life."

I couldn't lie, I was happy for her. Extremely.

"Who's the father?"

"The love of my life,"she chuckled,"His name is Trey."

"Come again?"

"Trey. Do you know him?"

"Erm . . . No, I don't think so."

Trey was a common name.

It couldn't be the Trey I knew.

Impossible.

So for now, I was going to keep my mouth shut and not saying anything.

Zaïrah

Negative.

I huffed and glared at the pregnancy test, it was supposed to be positive.

He hadn't pulled out, had he?