Chapter 6

Ava rushes to the pack house, when she runs in the back door and too her room, no one got to see what she looked like, the ripped shirt and bloody abdomen.

Except Jason whose hand was mid-air about to knock on her room.

"Jason" Ava breathes out.

He turns to look at her and his eyes go wide in shock when he sees the dried blood on her torn shirt, "Ava are you okay? What happened to you?" he rushes up to her to see if she was okay.

"I'm fine, there was a rogue, but I dealt with it" Ava says in one breath.

Jason looks at her, unsure as to what to say next.

Ava initiates the speech, "I'll just change and then we can head out" Ava slips past him and opens her bedroom door, leaving it open so Jason could enter.

He was hesitant at first, but he watches Ava walk into the bathroom with a change of clothes and proceeds to take a few steps into the bedroom.

"I don't think we should, perhaps another time, you need to rest" Jason says not thinking going out with two serious injuries was a great plan.

Ava opens the door as she pulls down her shirt, Jason only seeing from her belly button to the top of her jeans.

"Nonsense, I'm fine, besides, I need to get out of the area for a while" Ava insists.

Jason escorts Ava out of the pack house, as they come to the front door Kyle steps in their way.

"Going somewhere?" he asks with a snide tone.

Ava rolls her eyes, "Yes, Jason asked me out for drink's, and I said yes, so if you'd excuse me, we are just heading out" Ava spoke in a monotone.

Jason remained silent and watched the two people converse, there was something between the two, but he couldn't figure out what.

Kyle didn't move, so Ava tugged Jason and they stepped around him.

Even as they walked to the car, Ava felt Kyle's piercing gaze with every step she took.

Jason was a gentleman and opened the door for Ava which she was smiling about, even though it was only drinks, no one had ever opened the door of a car for her.

They drove away from the pack house into town, Ava rarely went into town when she was here as a child, so she had no idea about locations.

"What's with you and Kyle?" Jason questions.

Ava sighs "It's complicated" she replied.

Jason heard the tone in her voice when she spoke and knew not to pry any further.

The bar was in the centre of town and was full when they got inside.

Jason took her to an empty corner booth and a beautiful young waitress was at their table minutes after they got seated.

"What can I get you?" she calls over the loud music and people in the building.

"Beer and whatever the lady want's" Jason said.

The waitress looks over at Ava with a fake smile, "And you" she calls out.

"I'll take a beer too" Ava shouts so the waitress could hear.

Rolling her eyes at the order, the young woman leaves to collect the order.

"So" Jason begins "How did you become head warrior at such a young age, and convince the high council out of their sexist past?" Jason inquires.

Ava smiles, "Um, my grandfather was on the high council and pack council until his passing, I was only small when he died, but he had a lot of friends in high places, many of the members would often come to my pack for gatherings, being one of the strongest packs in north America, they would often come to ask for help and opinions on matters. One day when I was about seven the high council came out to view the warrior training session and I just so happened to have snuck my way in. I didn't interrupt, I stayed in the corner, but everything the warriors did I copied, terribly of course – Jason laughed – my father let me join in on the sessions and eventually when I was seventeen, some of the high council was back at my pack and saw me take down our head warrior at the time Luke, they allowed me to train to be a warrior, a month later we were helping an allied pack with rogues and Luke lost his life saving some kids. The council had me graduated early and I was put as head warrior per the request of my father and approval of 2nd warrior Carter" Ava explained.