Chapter 1

The pack house was only ever quiet during the night, Ava's favourite time, she had chance to think, train more and find ways to build on the small pack land.

Ava sat in the bay window of her room; the moon high in the sky on a beautiful clear night.

She wasn't much of a sleeper; her mind was always racing with hundreds of thoughts and ideas.

With her wolf senses, everything around her was heightened, the crickets in the grass were heard in Ava's room; even with the window closed.

She could even hear her father in the office. This was unusual.

Samuel, though very dedicated to his job as Alpha to the pack, he made sure he slept enough or else it would take his toll.

Which was why Ava was curious as to why her father was still in his office at this time of night.

Each footstep was silent, growing up in the pack house, Ava learned where every squeaky floorboard was, she made sure to avoid each of them as she walked to the office door.

The only light downstairs luminated the hallway that led to the office, the door was ajar.

Only one smell was in the office, it belonged to her father, but there were two voices; he was on the phone and to someone Ava hasn't heard or seen in four years.

Opening the door, Ava walks right in without and invitation. She needed no permission like the others in the pack, she was after all going to be working from this office when she becomes Alpha.

Samuel glances at his daughter and smiles.

She reciprocates as she makes her way to the bay window behind the office desk and sat down. Though she was looking out the window, her mind was focused on the conversation her father was having with an old friend.

"I'm sorry Mason, you know if I could send Carter I would, but we've been having trouble with rogues recently and they've been growing in numbers" Samuel sighs as he explains to his friend why he couldn't help.

Mason was his oldest friend, their fathers were also best friends, Mason was meant to be Samuels Beta at the Night Star Pack, but Mason came of age to shift and met his mate and Sarah being the only child to the Alpha of the Snow Stone pack, he moved to Sarah's home. They've kept in touch ever since.

Mason also sighed down the phone, he was disappointed his best friend couldn't help him out with the bind he was in, he was about to give up when he remembered something.

"Isn't Ava, your head warrior now? Can't she come and help out?" Mason suggested.

At the sound of her name and hearing it in that sentence, she leapt forward and tried to grab the phone from her father's grip.

Unfortunately, Samuel predicted this reaction and moved before his daughter could reach him.

Ava aggressively shakes her head, begging her father to deny his friend of that suggestion, she hadn't been back there in four years and she wasn't about to go back now. It was still too soon.

But Samuel didn't think the same as his daughter and immediately agreed, "I'll have Ava head up this week".

The conversation soon ended, and Samuel turned to his daughter who was glaring so much he could feel his wolf cowering. An unusual move for an Alpha.

"Couldn't not help him Ava, he's my best friend, despite everything that happened between you and..."

Ava's hand raises to his face "Don't even think about saying that vile ass' name, I cannot believe you would make me go back to him" Ava fumed.