Chapter 7 ~ The Assassin Of the Mist

A/N: Features the events of episode seven.

Just so you know, they look like they would in Shippuden, minus Sakura's short hair and Sasuke's Shippuden clothes.

The media has a picture of them from Shippuden, and a video for fight music xD

Warnings: cursing, violence, Naruto being oblivious about the way one of his lines could be taken-

You, Group Seven, Kakashi, and Tazuna were crossing a lake in a small wooden boat, pushed across by a boatkeeper. The man hummed softly as he paddled you further into the idle smog. "When we reach the side of the bridge, we'll be in the land of Waves."

As you peered into the cloudy air, structures came to life before you. The bridge and the equipment for building it crowded the scene, and you were grateful for the sight of solid ground.

"Wow!" Naruto's blue eyes lit up like gleaming sapphires. "It's huge!"

"H-Hey!" The boatkeeper's nervous stutter brought a frown to his face. "Please keep it down. I took this boat out under the cover of fog, and I cut the engine to row by hand. If they find us, we'll be in deep trouble."

Naruto slapped his hands over his mouth.

"Mr. Tazuna," Kakashi's hushed voice was barely audible over the water. "I want to ask you something before we arrive at the pier: The identity of your assailants and the reason they are after you. If you don't tell us, our mission may end when you make landfall."

You all listened intently as Tazuna spoke: "It appears I have no choice but to tell you. Frankly, I'd like you to listen. Just as you said, this may be beyond the scope of your mission. Actually, I am being targeted by a terrifying man"

"A terrifying man? Who?"

"You guys have probably at least heard his name before. A shipping magnate by the name of Gato."

Kakashi's eye widened. "Gato... of the Gato Company? One of the world's richest men?"

"Who? What?" Naruto smiled excitedly.

Tazuna ignored him. "Yes. On the surface, he's the chief executive of a shipping company. But underneath, he is into drug-trafficking and deals in contraband using gangs and Ninjas. Moreover, he runs a despicable business, ruthlessly taking over nations and enterprises. It was about one year ago... when that man first set his eyes on the Land of Waves. He used his wealth nd violence to enter this country, and before anyone knew it, he had taken complete control of the island's maritime transportation and shipping. Having a tight grip on the ocean, in an island nation like the Land of Waves, means having complete control of finance, the government, the people, ... everything. The one thing Gato fears is the completion of the bridge that has been under control for some time now."

"So Gato doesn't want the bridge built because it would expand competing markets, and allow for less isolation from the mainland." You nibbled on your lower lip. Out of your periphery, you noticed Sasuke staring at you.

"I see..." Sakura tapped her chin. "Since you're the one building the bridge, you've become a hindrance.

"Then those Ninjas from before were Gato's men?" Sasuke averted his gaze when you looked at him.

"But I don't understand," Kakashi drawled, "Your opponent is a dangerous one, who will even use Ninja. Why did you hide that fact from us when you made your request?"

"The Land of Waves... is a very poor nation, and even feudal lords have no money. Of course, we ordinary citizens have no money, either. We cannot afford to make B Rank requests or higher. Well, if you pull out of the mission when I land ashore, I will, no doubt, be killed. Killed sometime before I make it home. But there's no need for concern! Should I die, my cute grandchild who will turn eight... will only cry his heart out! And my daughter will only blame the Hidden Leaf Ninja for the rest of her life and grieve in solitude!"