Chapter 24

Some people have a strong sense of what's going on, some people can predict the future, some people have a strong intuition. No matter how hard you try to avoid something, it could seem almost unavoidable, in the end you succumbed to it.

Mateo stood a few feet away, as he watched the love of his life slip away.

He stood there unable to move, everything was moving in slow motion, Sasha flatlined, the sound was deafening, the sound of the machine echoed in his ear as he watched everyone else in the room scrambling to help her. Their babies were crying in the room, he knew it but he couldn't move, he couldn't stop staring at her.

"Time of death 1245am, 24th December 2019" the Dr announced. Mateo's heart dropped, as he fell to his knees and wept.

"Ho..How?"

"Why?" he questioned, the nurses helped him up to the chair as the Dr proceeded to explain. "Mr Parker, I'm so sorry for your loss. Sasha was struggling with preeclampsia during her pregnancy, when we first found out it was around week 20, and her blood pressure was elevated, that being said, thus putting her on bed rest. This has been a rare case Mr Parker, I'm sorry she had a cardiac arrest" Dr Eliza paused, "Here" handing him a letter, "this letter is from Sasha, she passed it to me in the emergency room, in the event of anything, she said I should pass it to you. I'll contact a grief counsellor to meet you up here shortly".

Mateo sat unmoving, clutching the letter Sasha gave staring at her lifeless body. He could hear mami's scream from the outside, he could hear his babies, but he couldn't take his eyes away from her. He stood up and made his way towards her, her body was cold, her eyes were closed, as if she's asleep, she's still so beautiful, he kissed her forehead and wept.

"I will always love you mi amor".

***

3 days had passed, 3 horribly agonizing days. Today's 27th of December, Sasha's birthday, and the day of her funeral. Mateo barely slept, he couldn't take care of his babies, he could barely take care of himself, he was a total wreck. Mami and Pedro took care of Mateo and the babies, everyone was a wreck but the babies held importance. Mateo changed the names of the babies, in remembrance of Sasha.

The letter that was passed to him, he read it that night. It was something completely unexpected.

Mateo,

If you received this letter, it means that I didn't survive this. I'm sorry, I'm sorry if you had to watch me die. There's a lot that I would like to say and in due time you will find out more, but as of now I've made all arrangements with my lawyers, after my funeral, someone named Linda would get in contact with you, she is my lawyer and also my will executor. There is so much that I want to say, so much that I want to share, but I can't. I'm simply sorry for everything that I've put you through. Please take care of our babies, I know you would make a wonderful father, my babies, our babies are the biggest blessing. I wrote this letter 2 weeks before my due date, my gut was telling me I should. It's a little awkward for me, but I needed to do it. Thank you for making me happy in the short amount of time, you'll be a great dad, and don't doubt yourself, Mateo, I know it's probably too late.

I love you and always will.

Take care of yourself and our babies.

Forever in love with you,

Sasha Annabelle Carter

***

As the funeral started, Mateo was carrying Tessa cradling her, as Pedro carried Talia, it was a gloomy day, the Pastor started the service as people started rolling in, soon it was filled, some people were standing up, Mateo didn't know that Sasha knew so many and impacted so many. Michela's entire family showed up, Michela had an important photoshoot but she cancelled, so that she could attend her best friend's funeral. When Clay got the news, he didn't believe it, no one would. Mr & Mrs Carter were informed by the hospital, mami called them to make arrangements for them to come, but Mrs Carter said that she had already arrived in Bali and it was a hassle for her to come back just for a funeral, Mr Carter sent a bouquet of sunflowers. Needless to say, Mami cursed the hell out of the both of them in both languages.