Chapter 22: Who?

Layla watched as two people walked through the gate. From the distance, she could only see their blurred forms coming closer to her. One of them excitedly flailed his arms around, while the other slowly followed behind.

"Who are they?" Layla asked Basilisk, who turned his head to avoid looking at her. He cleared his throat and readied himself for the backlash he was about to receive for keeping the truth from Layla.

"Representatives of Solice Aion, Xander Fiore and Kite Oswald, they agreed to come in her place." Basilisk briefly loosened the collar on his suit, readjusting himself into a more comfortable position.

"Oh," was all Layla could say, sadness filling her eyes.

Minerva, only a few steps away from the group, heard the statement made by Basilisk. She saw Layla's eyes that were previously filled with hope switch to that of sadness, then back to a neutral look.

"Let's go, I'll talk to Layla later." Minerva quietly said to Summer and Saber. They continued their way to the back of the courtyard, a small building coming into view behind the estate.

Within the group, Basilisk and Judah looked at each other for a second, and then turned their attention to Layla. Taka had kept silent this entire time, scribbling every detail he could think of, instead of including himself in any conversation going on around him.

"They are coming, Layla. Do your best." Judah nudged her arm, alerting her of the incoming duo coming closer to them.

Finally, Xander and Kite came face to face with the three waiting patiently for them to cross the distance of the path.

"Which one of you is Xander Fiore?" Basilisk asked the two men, looking straight at them with a piercing gaze.

"That would be me. I'm Xander." Xander raised his hand, and then pointed to Kite next to him. "He's Kite."

Kite glared at Xander, then turned his attention to Layla. Their eyes met, her blue eyes directly in line with his gold eyes.

Layla couldn't take her eyes off him, his towering frame made her feel small for a moment. She took in every detail of Kite, from his dark blue hair to the shining necklace hanging off his neck.

Basilisk cleared his throat with a loud huff, "On your knees."

"Huh?" Kite replied, before being pushed down by Xander to the ground. He landed harshly, one leg still holding him up from going face first into the dirt.

He could feel Xander's hand pressing against his head. The dirt in front of him shifted with Judah's movement to indicate they could get up.

"Welcome to our estate. Please make yourself comfortable with living here for the time being. I'll have my Silver escort you to the guest house when he gets back." Judah spoke to the two, waiting for them to rise from their spot.

Saber had returned at that time, Summer and Minerva nowhere to be seen.

"Speaking of my Silver, he is here." Judah tilted his head to the bags held by Kite and Xander, which Saber quickly took from them

"This way." Saber said plainly, turning completely around to the direction he came from.

Xander waved to Layla and followed Saber to the guest house. Layla shyly waved back towards Xander, then turned her attention back to Kite still standing before her.

Kite took another quick look at her, and left in silence.

The wind had picked up exactly at that moment, Layla's long hair blowing behind her. She held it in place, shielding her eyes from being covered by her hair. It was getting dark at that point, with Basilisk and Taka putting away their papers besides Layla.

She continued to watch the young men walk away from them, when the sun suddenly hit exactly at an angle that reflected off Kite's gold eyes. She saw the brightness bounce off his eyes, lighting up his face. She blushed at the sight of his handsome face, but quickly hid it with her hands.

"Let's get you inside. It's getting cold, and we have a welcome reception to prepare you for." Judah detached his cape, wrapping it around Layla's shoulders. "I'll see you later tonight."

Judah walked up to the door of the estate, one silver-haired individual who coincidentally stood there opened it for him and walked behind him into the estate.

"I'll take you to your room to get ready." Basilisk walked first to the door, waiting for Layla to follow him.

Layla shook herself back into reality and quickened her pace to go after Basilisk. They left the area, with Taka following close behind.