Chapter 32: Meet the Parents

The estate had been quiet that morning. There was a summoning for Layla to meet with Rebecca. She was escorted out of her room as soon as Summer finished with getting her ready for the day.

Soon, Layla and Rebecca met at the top of their joined estates' staircase. They stared at each other in silence, each not saying a word to the other. Layla took the first step to descend down the stairs, not waiting for Rebecca to follow.

As expected, Layla felt Rebecca's intimidating presence behind her, and refused to look back to make sure of it. She went to the bottom of the stairs where a couple of silver-haired workers met up with them. Two of those workers opened the door in front of them to the main pathway.

On the pathway, Layla recognized two people waiting a slight distance away from her. Her eyes dropped to the floor.

She quickly straightened her dress and picked up the edges closest to her hands. As gracefully as she could, she made way towards the two, her parents.

Once she had gotten close enough for her liking, she quickly curtsied to her parents, and greeted them with a warm smile.

"Mother, Father, welcome back."

A woman with similarly colored blue eyes nodded in agreement to Layla's statement, "Layla, a pleasure to be back."

Charla scanned the area for a familiar face, only to find Rebecca behind Layla. "Where's your son, Lady Rebecca?"

"He's attending to some matters for our family. I am going to be present during Layla's first day of Council." Rebecca straightened herself to impose her presence next to Layla, holding onto Layla's shoulder as she conversed with Charla.

Layla stood in silence while Charla and Rebecca continued with their conversation, casually eyeing the area for an opening to escape. Unfortunately for her, there was no such opening available to her at the moment. Judah left earlier in the morning, then Basilisk and Saber were attending to her guests. Summer left her side earlier to finish her morning tasks. Layla was all alone in this situation, she had to endure it.

"Oh! Soren, we have a gift for Layla." Charla spoke to her husband besides her, which she motioned for one of the Silvers behind them to come forward. This snapped Layla back to the moment, paying close attention to why her name had been called out. She noticed a female Silver next to her parents held onto a large box in their arms, which was delicately wrapped.

"A dress. Made from newly spun silk." Soren nodded to the Silver to come forward with Layla's gift. She placed the box into the arms of the Silver accompanying Layla. That accompanying Silver turned towards Layla and allowed for her to examine the box herself.

"Thank you, I'll cherish it." Layla lightly brushed her fingers over the smooth wrapping, nodding sternly towards the Silver holding onto her gift. "Take it to my room."

She switched her face to that of pity, as she apologetically watched the Silver go off to her room after following her orders.

I hate when I have to act that way. Layla thought to herself, facing her parents again for another time. She curtsied in the hopes that she could cue her leave.

"Mother, Father, I would like to excuse myself. I am due to eat breakfast with my guests."

Rebecca cut off Layla as soon as she straightened herself out, reaching out to firmly grab Layla's arm. She held the young noble in place tightly by the wrist, the pressure showing red marks on Layla's wrist. "Just a moment. You have yet to tell your parents about who your guests are."

"We heard." Soren started, "You invited outsiders." Charla and Soren gave each other a disapproving grunt, they watched as Layla wouldn't meet their eyes.

"We will discuss your choices later." Charla pushed Rebecca's arm away from Layla. "Go to breakfast."

Layla carefully, not to show disrespect openly, pulled her wrist free and curtsied once more. She waited until one Silver was behind her before she started to make her way back into the estate. She heard her parents and Rebecca still speak to each other, but it was hard to make out what they were saying.

Layla turned into the hallways nearest to her once she made it inside the estate, thoughts running wild. Must be talking about who I invited. They never approve of what I do.

Back at the dining hall, where Layla's out of place guests had seated themselves, food already was being served. Kite still stood away from the table. Xander swung his arms wildly to gain Kite's attention, but was unsuccessful in his multiple attempts. No sooner did Xander get up to personally drag Kite to the table, Layla appeared into the hallway directly facing them. Xander abandoned his attempts on Kite, speeding towards Layla instead. He cheerfully jumped when she finally came to them.

"Are you going to join us?" Xander happily asked.

Layla nodded, she smiled for Xander, but switched her expression to that of nervousness when she looked at Kite. Xander accepted her acknowledgment, and went back to his spot at the table. Kite and Layla stood together in the doorway of the dining area, each not saying a word.

Layla grew increasingly nervous, feeling the blood rush to her face as her blue eyes met with Kite's gold ones once again. Her eye shifted to her feet, and she fidgeted with her fingers. Her mind began to race once more.

I can't handle how handsome he is. Why did I get him instead of Solice Aion? He looks nothing like Judah, Saber, or Basilisk. There's also the matter of his...

Layla's thoughts trailed off to a blank when she tried to sneak a glance at Kite's frame. His shirt hugged him in all the right places. Sculpted abs lightly pressed against the fabric, enough to see some of the definition it created on his abdomen. His height towered over her, which gave her a great view of his torso. She continued to sneak more looks at him, mesmerized by his impossibly good looks.

"Can I help you?" Kite asked, crossing his arm. He fell back onto the doorframe, adding more definition to his already defined body. It nearly sent Layla over the edge.

She quickly regained her posture, pretending like nothing happened in her head. "L-le-let's eat!"