9 - Postwick

Word Count: 2266

You were running after Leon, following the dirt path while the girl named Gloria ran behind you. Why you were all sprinting was a mystery to you but you wouldn't risk falling behind.

At least, that was the idea until a small bird-like Pokémon suddenly walked into your path. By god's grace you managed to come to a slipping halt in front of the bird, waving your arms in circles to keep your balance and not fall on top of the poor creature.

God wasn't on your side for this bit though and you plummeted forward. By quick thinking, you managed to catch yourself on your hands and knees, using every muscle in your body to stay upright and not squash the Pokémon.

"Y/N, you okay?" You heard Leon call from somewhere above you.

"Yup!" You looked up to see him jog over to you and sent him a closed-eyed smile before moving your head to look under yourself. "Hello!" You called to the little bird who was cowering against your thigh, making it a bit less frightened when it saw your kind face.

You looked up again to see Leon hold his hand out for you. With a quick thanks, you took it and he pulled you up, dusting you off a little once you were back on your feet.

"I feel like I keep helping you off of the ground." Leon chuckled and you flushed in embarrassment, chuckling with him - albeit a little awkwardly.

"Yeah, sorry about that."

"No need to apologise, it's doing no harm." Leon smiled and picked a piece of grass out of your hair. The action accidentally pulled some of your hair out of place and Leon was quick to drop the little grass tuft before gently moving your hair back in place.

The back of his fingers grazed your cheek as he did so, making him halt when he went to pull away.

His features softened as he looked at you. Both of you seemed to stop moving as you just looked at each other. Leon's eyes held kindness and warmth as he looked at you; his hand gently gliding back on your cheek, towards your ear. Slowly, he started gravitating forward, leaning closer while you looked into his eyes, slowly doing the same. He had the faintest hint of a smile on his face while you swallowed nervously, your face starting to burn as you reciprocated the expression.

"Lee!"

The shouting of Hop seemed to make Leon jump a few feet away while you immediately tensed up and awkwardly shuffled to the side, turning away from Leon while putting a hand over your mouth and cheek to try and cool down.

Leon turned back to his brother. "Yes?"

"Are you coming?" Hop seemed completely oblivious of what just almost happened and Leon just nodded in response, making Hop turn around again while dragging Gloria with him.

Leon let out the breath he had been unintentionally holding and turned to you. "Shall we?" He asked and you made a high pitched humming noise in response, still flustered from what happened five seconds ago.

Going to take a step, you saw the small bird Pokémon still at your feet. You bent down and pat the creature on its head. "Take care." You smiled at it before standing up again and walking up to Leon, moving to walk next to him at only a slightly awkward distance away. Neither of you really had the ability to look at each other and you just continued to walk in silence, both lost in thought and staring straight ahead.

- - - -

Postwick was a small little place. But the moment you stepped in, you felt a warm and welcoming feeling. It almost reminded you of home.

Leon noticed your relaxing posture and allowed himself to relax a little bit as well. "Home sweet home." He smiled, a little unsure but you returned it, albeit with a light blush. This caused a wave of relieve to flush through the man, since he feared he had ruined the friendship the two of you had built up.