23 - Flight

Word Count: 1349

Crobat stood patiently, waiting for you to come over so that the two of you could take off. You chuckled at his eagerness, scratching the top of his head while you looked at Leon.

The sun was slowly sinking down the horizon behind him, giving a beautiful lighting of an orange sky backdrop. With a graceful leap he hopped onto Charizard's back, making the dragon shake himself loose a little bit to get ready while looking at Crobat and you expectantly. Almost as if he was waiting to see what you were able to do.

You winked at the fire Pokémon and got on Crobat, who immediately flapped his wings a few times in anticipation.

"Alright then!" You grinned and Leon gave you the go-ahead. "Let's go!"

With just those two words, both Pokémon shot up from their spot on the ground as if they had been cooped up inside and it was their first time flying in months. They raced into the air, wind whipping past you and nearly giving you whiplash as you held on tight.

By now, the entire sky had gone orange, throwing a glow on everything that made it magical.

Both Pokémon were still rising into the sky as fast as possible and you looked to your right towards Leon, the sun throwing a sort of halo over him as his hair and cape whipped behind him. How his cap was able to stay on his head was a mystery to you but you had no time to ponder that now!

As if synced up, both flying Pokémon slowed down as they broke through the clouds, levelling out and flying horizontally. You felt the slight condensation cling to your skin as you moved through the whisky substance before flying right over it, the bottom of your feet dipping down into it as the setting sun brightly illuminated the area all around you. The orange glow almost reflecting off the clouds.

Short breaths racked through your body over the excitement of flying again; calming down slightly now that you were moving at a little more leisurely pace.

Closing your eyes, you could feel the sun's rays gently touch your skin, driving away the chill of the wind up here.

A low rumble came from your right and you opened your eyes to look to the origin, seeing Charizard had moved a little bit closer and was calmly looking at you with what could only be described as a happy smile. Feeling eyes on you, you moved your gaze from the orange dragon blending in with the light, to the trainer on top. Leon was looking at you, mimicking his Pokémon and holding a small smile. His smile suddenly turned a little more teasing and Charizard moved towards you, almost bumping into you and Crobat. You gasped a bit as Crobat was forced to the side before righting himself and flying straight again. Returning the gesture, it was now Leon who was forced to the side and he let out a pleasant laugh, his golden orbs holding a twinkle as he looked at you.

You let a small laugh escape your lips as well and directed Crobat to the left, the two of you suddenly ducking down under the clouds and disappearing from Leon's view. He looked around curiously, putting his feet on Charizard's haunches so that he could partly stand up; giving him a better view of the area around him. It was quiet for a few seconds, Leon just curiously looking around to see where you had gone as the sun dipped further and further into the horizon behind him.

All of a sudden, Charizard jerked upwards with a small surprised roar. Leon yelped as he quickly shot himself forward and securely held onto Charizard, looking up to see a purple Pokémon race by, shooting straight up into the air from where he had just been flying.

Shaking his head with a teasing look, Leon's eyes locked with your joy-filled one as the last bit of the sun sunk away, making room for the dark of night and the light of the moon. With a pat to Charizard's neck, the trainer-Pokémon duo silently communicated and before you could comprehend it, they were racing towards you with a determined look in their eyes.

You and Crobat only barely managed to move out of the way in time, the dragon rushing past you and flying away at an unfathomable speed.

A look of indignation crossed your face as you gasped. Quickly, you leaned forward on Crobat's back which made the Pokémon immediately go in pursuit; no need for any verbal communication for him to know what you wanted.

It took some effort but the two of you caught up and you were now flying next to Leon, looking over at the Champion as he looked back, raising an eyebrow in a challenging manner as the wind whipped around from the speed you both were going at.

"Alright so you're fast!" You called out over the whistling winds, a wolfish grin on your face. "But let's see how you do vertically!"

You barely gave Leon any time to furrow his brows in confusion as you tapped Crobat's side two times. In a practiced routine, you jumped forward and off of Crobat. The Pokémon immediately shot forward, wrapping his wings around you in a hug as you held onto him as well, basically now clinging onto his underbelly as you dropped. With his wings wrapped around you and himself, he became a small cannonball plummeting down to the ground.

"Y/N!" Leon called out in surprise and immediately went into a dive after you, trying to keep up. Squinting his eyes to try and keep an eye on you, he and Charizard shot after you.

At the last possible second, Crobat opened his wings, allowing you to use the wind and gravity to slide yourself back onto his back, sending Leon a cheeky wink as you got into position before Crobat pulled up as fast as he could right above the ground. Leon followed your example, only about a second behind. You both raced across grazing fields and fields filled with crops, almost shearing off the leaves of the plants with how close you flew over the ground - and the speed you were going at given the gigantic descent you just did.

In the dark however - with the moon that was hidden behind some clouds being the only real ligh - it took a bit too long to see the fields were about to come to an end.

A large hill splayed out in front of you and you and Leon raced along the curve as if it was some sort of skatepark pipe. As you rounded it, straight ahead, the area was illuminated by the village of Turffield, the Gym stadium shining a bright neon light that illuminated the area around it.

Both you and Leon still had way too much speed to come to a suddens stop. "Left!" You called out, not feeling up for disturbing the people in town and almost running them over.

Hearing your call, both Crobat and Charizard banked left, rushing right past a Wooloo which let out a scared bleat before toppling over in fright.

"Sorry!" You called to the small Pokémon, looking back at it to see it rolling around in a daze slightly. As you straightened yourself out and looked forward however, your eyes widened.

"TREE!"

Your warning came just in time, causing both you and Leon to pull away into opposite directions and back up into the air. Flying into the air again to avoid any more possible collisions, you both went in a spiral up into the air until the push and pull of gravity and wind was able to slow you both down into a spot where you could hover.

Breathing heavily, you just looked up at Leon with wide eyes, him holding a similar flabbergasted look, only for you both to burst out laughing from the shock.

Nothing like bonding over a near-death experience.