22 - Short Rest

Word Count: 1356

"How about we set up shop somewhere? I think some proper introductions are in order." You had turned to Leon as you spoke and he nodded with a smile.

You left the mine not too long ago and had been walking around a little aimlessly, just enjoying having found Crobat - who was flying around the little group like a maniac, clearly hyperactive.

"Duck!" You suddenly called out as you saw Crobat zoom towards you. On instinct, you placed your hand on Leon's head and pushed him down, ducking yourself as well. The bat Pokémon rushed over both your heads, only missing it by an inch and you coughed a bit at how close that was. Crobat would never intentionally harm you of course, but having 165lbs of Pokémon fly into you will get you into some trouble.

"How about over there?" Leon said once the two of you had stood up properly again. You looked to where he was pointing to see a nice grassy hill and nodded happily, taking the lead to walking there.

The two of you sat down, Leon letting out Charizard who happily lay down, curling around the both of you while you whistled, calling for Crobat. He quickly flew over and landed, waggling cutely with his little feet towards you and plopping himself on your lap.

You couldn't help but giggle at this action and started petting between his ears while Leon playfully bumped his shoulder into yours, smiling.

With a careful motion, you took out Rookidee's Pokéball and let him out, making Crobat coo a bit curiously and inspect the bird who pecked him right in the middle of the face, making Crobat jump back into your lap. You yelped but caught the little round ball without falling over, getting his attention.

"Crobat, this is Leon and Charizard." You introduced them, pointing to them before pointing to Rookidee. "And that is Rookidee, he is the newest member of our team!"

Leon stuck out his arm gently for Crobat to get used to him. The purple Pokémon looked a bit hesitant for a second but when you nodded at him with a big smile, he happily accepted any and all pats Leon was willing to give him.

You practically handed Crobat to Leon, dropping him in the Champion's lap - causing him to grunt in surprise at the weight - so that you could focus on Rookidee. You gently leaned forward, going to lay on your stomach on the grass with your face right in front of Rookidee.

"Now, you gotta be a little nicer." You scolded the small bird, making him hang his head. "We're all friends here, aren't we?" You paused for a second. "Now, you know Leon and Charizard, and Crobat is really nice so I want no more pecking, okay?" You pointed a stern finger at him and in answer, Rookidee instinctually went to peck it but immediately realised and instead gently bit down on your finger, as if to say that was how he would peck from now on - gently.

Content that he got the message, you sat back up and looked behind you to see Charizard and Crobat deep in a conversation while Leon was just stuck in the middle, looking at you and sweat-dropping when you met his gaze.

Sometimes, having Pokémon was just like herding a bunch of rowdy children - exhausting.

- - - -

"Y/N, are you okay? You look really tired." Leon commented as you sat beside each other. About an hour had passed since you first sat down here and you all just got done eating lunch; the Pokémon now happily playing with each other a few metres away.

"I'm better than I have ever been, Leon." You smiled back, looking up at him briefly with a smile before looking back at your Pokémon. "The last few days have been hard..."

"I can only imagine." Leon sighed and scooted a little closer to you, placing a hand on your back and rubbing a little comfortingly.

His knee was against yours and you could feel his burning gaze on you, making your heart speed up just that little bit.

"But it's all good now! We found Crobat, and we'll find the others as well!"

Leon chuckled and leaned into you slightly, going for a shoulder bump but lingering instead, keeping his shoulder connected with yours. "You bet we will."

A cry from a Pokémon broke the both of you out of your little moment and you looked up with a raised eyebrow to see Crobat and Charizard stand on either side of Rookidee, looking expectantly at the little bird.

Rookidee chirped and both senior Pokémon flapped their wings, as if demonstrating how to do it.

"They're teaching him how to fly." You heard Leon say from next to you, able to hear the smile on his face.

"Or trying to at least." You joked and Leon chuckled.

Rookidee tried his best, flapping his little wings as hard as possible, making Charizard lean down and stop him. Crobat cooed, making the little bird look at him, and once again patiently flapped one set of his wings, showing how to do it. Rookidee looked inquisitively before looking at his own wings, flapping a little slower than before.

It took a few tries but before long, he was in the air, struggling to stay up but staying up nonetheless.

"Yeah, Rookidee!" You and Leon cheered the little bird on, making him swell with pride as he chirped happily, clumsily trying to come over to you. Both Charizard and Crobat cried out, encouraging their pupil with happy expressions.

This day was only getting better.

- - - -

After teaching Rookidee to fly, everyone had gotten exhausted. Crobat was in your lap, wings around you in a hug, gently snoring as Rookidee had crawled over to Leon, sleeping soundly with him. Charizard had decided to curl up around the both of you, laying protectively around you and chasing away the chilly breeze with his body heat.

"What do you say we take a flight?"

The comfortable silence you had been sitting in with Leon got broken as he suggested that and you turned your head towards him. At the mention of the word, both Crobat and Charizard had opened one eye, looking expectantly at their trainers.

You raised an eyebrow at your trusty partner and got an impatient flick of the ear from him, indicating that he really wanted to.

"Well, I think that I don't have a choice, even if I didn't want to." You leaned back against Charizard, smirking slightly at Leon as you did which made an adorable smile break out on his face.

Recalling Rookidee, you urged Crobat to get up and stretched your legs after he did so, groaning slightly at the cramps that shot through them. One downside to letting your heavy ass Pokémon rest in your lap for a while.

A pair of hands suddenly slid under your arms and lifted you up to your feet, making you let out a confused noise as you got placed down.

"Ow. Ow, ow, ow." You almost chanted to yourself as you hobbled a bit, Leon snickering behind you as he still supported you, holding on.

"Try to walk a bit more, you have to walk it off and move your muscles, it's the best way." He said while trying to hold in his laughter, making you whine.

"Stop laughing at my misery. See the lengths I go through for my Pokémon? You don't wanna know how far I can go for other things." You threatened and at that moment, Leon actually burst out laughing which caused him to loosen his grip on you. Your legs unfortunately, were still jelly and you fell back, falling into Leon and almost knocking the both of you down again.

Leon grunted slightly in surprise but caught you nonetheless, keeping himself standing as he held onto you.

"Ah, sorry." You muttered out embarrassed, getting back to your feet and stretching your legs properly with Leon's help - keeping your head pointed forward to hide the blush that was raging on your cheeks.

"Let's fly!"

- - - -

Sorry for the 3 week+ break, I am back now! ^^