10 - A New Partner?

Word Count: 2821

You were back to your little spot on the wall. As kind as it was to let you join in the barbecue, you didn't really fit in. Nor did you feel like it was your place to try and butt into the family time. You were content enough on your little wall, just thinking.

"Y/N!" You looked up with a start at the shouting of your name, only to see Hop run towards you with two large barbecue skewers in his hands.

"Wait, Hop look out!" You were too late with your warning and Hop tripped over the little rock that was somehow on the field. In a desperate attempt to keep him from impaling himself on the food skewers, you lunged forward to catch him in your arms. The momentum from his fall sent you toppling backwards however and you landed on the floor with a painful thud. Your ribs protested loudly and you couldn't contain the groan that left you.

"Oh, no. I didn't mean for that to happen!" Hop looked a bit frantic as he got off of you but you held up one of the skewers that he dropped.

"Thanks for the food. It's much appreciated." You grimaced as you sat up.

"Are you sure it's okay?"

"She's more sturdy than she looks, Hop." Leon placed his hand on Hop's shoulder and gave a charismatic smile.

Hop looked back at you, still a bit worried, but when you sent him a smile, he was quickly put at ease and returned your smile with a grin of his own, before running away again.

"Looks like I was right this morning; I really am helping you off of the ground constantly." Leon held his hand out for you and you scoffed teasingly before taking it, letting him pull you up once more.

"Well, I appreciate your constant support." You joked and Leon laughed.

"Are you in any pain though? I can imagine that fall did a number on your ribs."

You put one of your hands on your midriff, pushing slightly to test out the waters, only to wince. "Yeah that wasn't too great. But I'll be fine." You quickly reassured him.

Leon smiled softly at you before something behind you caught his attention. "I don't mean to alarm you but... Looks like you've got a little stalker of your own now." He grinned widely and you tentatively turned to look behind you, only to see a familiar little bird Pokémon peek at you from behind the wall.

"Oh!" Your face was filled with surprise at the sight and you faced your body to the Pokémon fully, making it chirp in fear and hide behind the wall. "No! Hey, hey, it's okay!" You quickly soothed, making the bird come out of hiding a bit more.

"He's been following you since this morning."

You looked back to see Leon with his eyes closed and his arms crossed over his chest, smiling.

"And you only thought to mention it now?" You raised an eyebrow and the Champion just shrugged, grinning slightly.

You shook your head with a playful sigh before turning back to the small bird Pokémon. "So, why are you following me then?" You asked with a sweet voice, crouching down to be on eye level with it.

The Pokémon, happy that you didn't just tell him to go away, jumped onto the wall in a spurt of confidence and chirped at you.

You giggled slightly and held out your hand slowly. Almost immediately, the small Pokémon hopped on before settling down and contently chirping as it relaxed on your flat palm.

"I think he wants to come with you." Leon smiled and you turned to him.

"Huh?!" It was the only noise you could think to make and it made Leon chuckle slightly.