15 - Phones and Motostoke

Word Count: 3215

You and Leon had spent the next few hours walking through the Wild Area. More than once wild Pokémon attacked the two of you but with Charizard (and Rookidee; the bird has a very mean stare after all) you came out on top without any troubles.

"I'm starving." You grumbled as your stomach growled, slumped over in defeat.

"You can try to get some berries from that berry tree. It won't fill you completely but it might sustain you until we get to the city for lunch." Leon said as he pointed to a tree not too far from you before crossing his arms over his chest.

"Alright!" You replied with a determined look, making Leon chuckle. The two of you walked up to the tree and you stared up at it, a little intimidated.

"Wait, so how do I do this?" You turned to Leon to see him with an amusedly raised eyebrow.

"You shake it. And then different kind of berries fall out."

"Shake it? Alright...?" You walked up to the tree a little hesitantly, putting your hands on the bark. "Leon, if you're messing with me I will hurt you." You warned as you glanced back at the man but he quickly put his hands up in defence.

"I'm not! I'm not! I swear!" He waved his hands back and forth and you squinted at him for a second longer, trying to determine if he was telling the truth.

In the end, you shrugged and turned back to the tree. "Here goes nothing." You shook the tree and sure enough, a berry fell down. You went to go and pick it up but Leon stopped you.

"You can shake more than once. One berry won't really sustain all of us." You let out a dry laugh before turning back to the tree and shaking it once more. Another berry fell out but this time it was different from the first.

"Rookidee why don't you collect the berries and hand them to Leon?" You asked the small Pokémon. He didn't have that much to do in battles due to him not being very strong yet, so you felt like giving him something to do would make the bird feel happy.

Rookidee chirped loudly, accepting the task before clumsily fluttering off of your shoulder and picking up the first berry that fell, hopping over to Leon to hand it to him before repeating the actions for the other berries you got out of the tree.

You had gotten about four berries out and smiled as Rookidee picked up the latest addition to the collection, going over to hand it to Leon. You shook the tree once more but instead of the usual berry, something else fell out.

A grey blur fell from right above you and you screamed shortly as it landed on your face, trying to get it off. It was clinging to your head quite fiercely and refused to let go.

"Y/N!" Leon's worried shout reached you but before he or Charizard could do anything, a small black and yellow blur whizzed past, ramming into the Pokémon on your face at alarmingly fast speed.

The Skwovet squeaked in surprise and let go of your face, not even landing on the ground for more than a second when Rookidee attacked again, pecking the squirrel with a calculated strike, making it faint immediately.

You and Leon looked down at the scene in shock, barely able to register what just happened.

"I- uh, wow." Leon exclaimed before bursting out laughing. You looked at your Pokémon in disbelief before joining Leon in his merriment. All the while, Rookidee stood proudly next to the fainted Skwovet, puffing out his little chest in pride.

A jingle suddenly filled the air and you calmed down and took your phone out of your pocket, the jingle turning louder. You answered and held the phone up to your ear. "Hello?"