Chapter Twelve: My Comfort

While on the drive to school the Monday after our date, Sasha poked her head from the backseat onto the space between Pat and I, "So how did it go?"

I didn't have to reply because not even a second later, Mia grabbed her by the collar of her jacket and yanked her back, "Don't even start."

I tried to mask my nervousness with an amused laugh, daring to steal a glance towards Pat's way.

Where were we right now?

He took me to dinner after, we kept the flirty and teasing conversations going, and then he drove me home. All that we said goodbye with was a small kiss on the cheek and nothing else. However, something definitely did change.

Maybe I was wrong about the purpose of this whole time travel thing. Maybe I was supposed to save our relationship instead of stopping it. Perhaps I was meant to prevent the whole break up since I admit that I take most of the blame for how our relationship dissolved.

All I was sure of was that the whistle was under my top again. I was back to being fully aware of this weird reality that I was living. Though I have to admit that pretending that I truly was on a first date with a guy from class did make me giddy and happy.

And now I had to deal with my two best friends currently sitting on the backseat, expecting a story time of what happened. I just hope that it goes far better than when I told Zoey.

"You kissed?!" Zoey yelled, the piece of toast she was holding comically fell back down to her plate. A few other diners jolted up from her outburst and she sent a silent apology, before turning to me and repeating her question with a calmer tone, "You kissed?"

I nodded in confirmation, trying to avoid her gaze. It was kind of pointless since we were literally sitting right across from one another.

But I could just feel her disappointment radiating from where she was. She didn't have to voice it out, I knew that this was not the outcome she was hoping for.

"He's not a bad guy," I tried to defend him, "He just makes weird decisions. Besides, I already talked to him about the bleachers fiasco."

"Then I'll be the judge of that. I want to meet him," she huffed, grabbing back her toast while grumbling underneath her breath, "You passed on the perfect guy for you."

I knew immediately that she was talking about Leon. Instead of pushing through with the topic though, I lowered my head and continued on with my meal.

If there was one thing that stuck to me from that conversation, aside from the obvious fact that my best friend was displeased with the guy that I chose to date, was what she said. It haunted me the whole weekend, her voice replaying constantly inside my head.

I want to meet him.

In retrospect, the first ever red flag with our relationship came way earlier than I thought – the day that he and Zoey met. I remember vividly how his eyes twinkled, how his jaw slackened, and how he showed this expression that made it look like the whole world was invisible except for her. I wasn't surprised because she did have the kind of looks that demanded attention, but looking back, that meeting was more than simple admiration.

If I introduce him to her, will his reaction be the same?

At this point, I've already accepted the time travel, no matter how fucking impossible it all seems. Now I just need to figure out what was the reason.

And also, how.

"Oh L just arrived too," Pat pointed out when he turned off the vehicle after he parked. He quickly undid his seatbelt and opened the door, hollering out, "Leon!"