Chapter 10- Chase

"You're the worst. Why do you have to be an honest politician? And why'd you have to start fulfilling all your promises after the coaches decided to punish me and Werewolf?"

"Because it makes it easier for me. Plus, it's entertaining. And it's less work for me and the rest of the student council."

I make a face at Levi, who is smirking very smugly. "You're a horrible friend."

"I'm enjoying this too much to care."

"You're such a-"

"Levi, are you tormenting my boyfriend again?"

Ashley appears out of nowhere- though, I'm not seeing her, lately. Yesterday, I was walking directly towards her and I actually didn't see her. I brushed it off by teasing her about being short, and she rolled her eyes at me and seemed to forget about it. But it's things like that that are starting to make me think...

"He's fun to torment," Levi tells her, which she playfully rolls her eyes at.

"Don't worry, babe. I won't gang up on you," she tells me, leaning into my side. My arm is around her- out of habit, maybe, or she put it there, I don't know.

"Good to hear that I can count on someone," I respond, but it's hard to stay focused during this conversation. Maybe we should-

Levi finishes unloading his bag pretty quickly, then closes his locker and glances at Ashley, who gives him a small nod. Wait-

He leaves, and Ashley turns to me, wrapping her arms around my neck. "So, you don't have practice after school today. Want to come to my house? My parents won't be home for a few hours..."

Usually I would smirk and say yes, regardless of my work load. No- not usually. Before. Maybe last week, or two weeks ago. But I can't get my face to make the right expression, and the word 'yes' won't come out of my mouth. I don't know why. Well- I kind of do. Because her closeness right now, the way her body is pressed to mine- it's not giving me the burning sensation, the feeling of being set on fire by a mere touch. It used to be there when she touched me, I think. Maybe. I don't remember exactly, I just remember that it was good. That I wanted more. But...

Ashley, I think that maybe we should-

"I have a lot of homework again. My schedule is a lot busier since the coaches laid down the law."

She nods a little, not looking unbearably disappointed, which is a bit of a relief. It means she believes me- but then again, that also means that she isn't going to ask if something's wrong, which means I still have to bring it up myself, and she won't be expecting it, and-

"I can't wait until you guys learn to get along. For the sake of you staying on the team, and not constantly getting in trouble, but..." she gives me a small, almost mischievous smile, "you'll also have more free time."

I manage to get the corners of my mouth to turn up a little as I hold her gaze, mimicking her expression. "Yeah." No. No, I think that maybe I need to-

She smirks a little more, reaching up to kiss me. I let her press her lips to mine, and force my own to go through the actions of kissing her back. It puts a twinge in my stomach, but not like the one I got from just the way the guy from seven minutes in heaven looked at me- this one is a little like dread. Heavy and desperate to get away. Ashley, I think we need to take a break, I think I need space, I think I need to figure things out, I think I'm confused and questioning my sexuality and I can't do this, not right now, and I think-

"See you tomorrow, babe," she whispers against my lips, and I remember how I used to want her when she did that, and how much I really, really don't right now. I pull away, still holding my expression in a rakish smirk, the way she's used to seeing.