Preparation

Jack's p.o.v.

"The Hogwarts Champion is Jack Frost!" Professor North boomed. I sat there and appreciated the cheers. I turned around to see how my friends would react. Punzie was clapping so much she hit a tan girl with curly auburn hair (It wasn't as curly as Merida's though; No one's is as curly as Merida's) sitting next to her. After that Punzie freaked out and seemed to be apologizing for the rest of the time, even though the girl tried to stress the fact that it was ok. Hiccup was cheering too, even going so far as to shoot glimmering sparks from his wand. When I looked over at Merida,however, I was met by a flying pastry.

I dodged it right in time, looked over at Merida(who was fuming), and gave her a smile and a shrug. I went up to the stage with the other two girls and we sat there to appreciate our winnings. Then, Professor North led us to a door that I didn't see before. Inside, it was full of glittering glass and shiny jewels. In the middle there were 6 ornate chairs surrounding a delicate table that held a bowl of Bertie Bott's every flavour beans. Cinderella, Xiang, North, Luna, Carrie, and I all sat down in the chairs and looked expectantly at our headmasters and headmistress.

"Er, congratulations!" Headmaster North said before the silence got too long. "I'm sure you are all anxious about the first task, but I'm sorry to say it won't be until November 8th, 3 weeks from now."

We all breathed a sigh of relief. We had 3 weeks to train. Then we all looked back at the professors.

"Oh, we're not telling you what the task is." Cinderella said, realizing what we were expecting. "Part of the fun is the surprise!"

That was easy for her to say, she wasn't competing. Then Professor North shooed us off. I decided after that little...outbreak from Merida, I should see how she's doing.

Usually, she gets mad at me for 3 seconds, then it's done. But, Merida never passes up a chance to test her skills and strength and the Triwizard Tournament is the perfect way to do that. Now, here's the catch: Merida's a princess back in Scotland. She can get whatever she wants at the snap of her fingers. For example: once, when we were little, she had invited me on a play date. I wanted to be a pirate, but Merida wanted to be a knight. So, we compromised and said we would have a battle to see which was better. After our 'preparation', we went to 'battle'. Merida came out with at least a dozen guards following her, and she was suited up in real armor. Thus, she had won the game. (did you expect me to fight her? I'm not that insane)

Anyways, I walked to the first obvious place: The Quidditch stadium. I did find her there, sitting on the bleachers. But, she was doing something I didn't expect her to be doing: reading.

I climb up the bleachers to the row she was on. But once I was about 12 feet from her, I stopped.

"Merida?" I took a few more tentative steps toward her, then I realized there was two other girls sitting by her. One girl had auburn hair that was as long as Merida's, but not nearly as curly. The other one was tan with hazel hair. All of them were reading.

"Merida?" I said walking cautiously. I was hoping she didn't have anymore cream puffs with her. She looked up from her book and waved me over.

"Hey Jack!" I sat next to her. "This is Joy," She pointed at the tan girl. "And this is Rose." She pointed at the girl with curly hair. They both smiled and went back to their books.

"Er, what are you doing?" I said, looking at the books. Merida looked up at me.

"Well, I figured even if I'm not the champion, I can help my best friend." She said, poking me in the side. I smiled. That was the first time she referred to me as something that didn't invoke a fight between us.

****************°****************

About 20 minutes later, I learned a lot of stuff. First, that the 'bombardre' charm can blow through solid metal (!). Also, Rose had a dirty mind. I said something about the breakfast sausage, and she started laughing so hard dropped her book. Plus, both Rose and Joy were really funny. We got into a conversation about whether or not Professor Cinderella's nose was real or not. Merida and I doubted it, but the two Beauxbatons were convinced.

"Once she left on 'Muggle Business', and when she came back, everyone thought she looked...different." Rose said, smirking.

"Plus, if you look closely, her nose doesn't match the rest of her face." Joy said, laughing. We all cracked up until we realized we were supposed to be studying. After about 20 minutes of reading about how to protect yourself with defensive spells, I got bored.

"Where's Hiccup and Punzie?" I yawned.

"On a date." Merida said, flipping through Dragon Scales and Other Ingredients for Defensive Potions.

"What?! Really?!" I exclaimed. Merida nodded her head and jotted down some notes. "Why are you so calm??" I said. She looked at me the way you look at a 4-year-old.

"Well, duh!" She said. "Have you seen how they act around each other?"

When I thought about it, she was right. But I would never tell Merida she was right. So I just shrugged and we all went back to our books.

But even that didn't put a damper on my mood. The best part was being able to sit with Merida the whole time.