The Yule Ball

Jack's p.o.v.

Almost a month later, the compliments finally died off. Which, also meant the Yule Ball was coming up. Because, obviously nothing will go right for me. Here's how I found out.

I was in Potions, not listening to professor Bunnymund (as usual), when he said “All right, mates, pack your stuff and follow me."

We all sleepily packed our cauldrons. Only Punzie seemed to care what was happening.

“What if something bad is happening?" She said, her emerald eyes wide.

~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°

“Punzie was right, this is bad."

We were sitting on some benches, the boys on one side, girls on the other. Professor Tooth was standing in front of us all, describing the Yule Ball. Apparently, it was a Christmas Ball, where we would wear the dress robes we were expected to bring, and, believed it or not, have a few students sing. When Professor Tooth asked for volunteers, too my utmost surprise, Merida raised her hand. Our teacher clapped excitedly.

“Perfect! Now about the dancing..." The boys' side shifted uncomfortably and muttered among ourselves, while almost all of the girls stood up immediately. Professor Tooth paired us up, and I was with Punzie (It could've been worse). Merida was with a guy named Kristoff, and  Hiccup was with Joy. I spotted Rose with Snotlout, a Durmstrang guy. She caught my eye and mouthed 'Help me´. I shrugged and turned to Punzie.

“One, two, three! One, two, three!" Tooth was so exited about leading this, which was beyond me.

“So, are you going to ask Merida?" I heard Punzie whisper. I look at her, astonished. Am I really that obvious? I think.

“Seriously? I saw how disappointed you were when Mer was paired up with Kristoff." She said, retracting her foot. “Don't step on me!" I apologize and try to dance properly. I look over at Merida and consider how I should ask her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Later, at dinner I came up with my idea. I would butter her up, then ask her afterwards (bad plan, I know).

Merida finally bounded in, with a smile on her face. She sat at her table and promptly began eating dinner. Thinking about my task ahead, I did the same.

After stuffing myself full of bread pudding and shepard's pie, trying some bouillabaisse, and having at least 3 slices of apple pie, I went over to Merida. I got quite a few dirty looks walking down the Gryffindor table, so when I got to her, I forgot my plan. Thus, leading to one of the many,many,many,many,many embarrassing moments of my life.

“Wilyougotothballwithme?" I sputtered.

“What?" Merida laughed. “Sheesh, you must be insane."

I gave a nervous laugh and tried again.

“Will you go to the ball with me?"

Merida's face fell. She looked around nervously, then looked back at me.

“Well, Jack, if you'd asked me earlier I would go with you, but..." she trailed off.

“Oh, ok! Totally fine. It's all good." I tried my best on the outside, but inside, my heart crumbled into tiny pieces. I decided I would go for some revenge.

“So, who was it?" I asked, as casually as I could muster. She looked at me and said “Hans."

Later that night, my pillow was probably going to report me for abuse. I had gone to my dormitory so early, no one else was there, so I yelled and hit my pillow. It wasn't the same. It would be better to curse his nose off, but that would be a small victory, considering I would be expelled. But, another unfortunate outcome came to mind: I didn't have a date.