The First Task

Jack P.o.v

"Wait, you do who to what?"

Hiccup slams his book to his forehead, probably hoping to knock himself out. It doesn't work, so he sighs, exasperated.

"You eat the Cloverbulb, then you can daze people with a snap of your fingers."

"Why do I need to know that?" I said. He just threw his hands up in the air. Studying is hard. Studying in the library is even harder.

"I don't know! Maybe you will have the first task in a garden! Go study with Punzie for a bit." The way we've planned it, I will study with each Merida, Punzie, and Hiccup for 15 minutes, then transfer to the next. Rose and Joy would be there, but Cinderella requires a strict curfew of 9:00 exactly (After what they said, I noticed Cinderella's nose was paler than the rest of her face).

Anyways, on my way to the table Punzie was sitting at, I noticed the Luna, the Durmstrang champion, reading. She read for a bit, scribbled down a note or two, then went back to her book. Every now and then, a Durmstrang guy would come up, talk to her, and help her study. I guess being the only girl in her school had its perks.

When I sat by Punzie, she immediately shoved a stack of paper at me.

"Um, thanks, I promise I will make some intellectual origami with this." I was about to get up and hang out with Merida, but Punzie pulled my sleeve back down.

"Read the paper, you snowflake." I almost burst out laughing. That was honestly the worst insult I've heard from her. Once she and Hiccup got in a fight and she told him that his robes looked nice with his eyes, but they didn't match.

Anyways, as I discovered after reading the papers, Punzie had given me a stack of quizzes.

"Do you expect me to do all this in your time?! You only get 15 minutes with me!"

"I expect at least one page done!"

15 minutes of insane questions later (What on earth is a Scalab?) , I went over to Merida's table. I didn't know what she had in mind, but not a wizard chessboard.

I swear that girl is full of surprises.

Which is one of the reasons I like her.

"What's all this?" I said, sitting.

"I thought about helping you study, but first of all, I got bored. Secondly, I already helped you, like, 3 weeks ago." She said.

I chuckled and looked at her. "You're crazy and unpredictable."

She gave me a mischievous smile and suddenly said: "Pawn to C2!"

Her pawn moved just far enough to slice the head off of one of mine.

"That's cheating!" I exclaimed.

"That's wizard's chess." Merida said in cool triumph.

Just when Merida was about to assassinate my king, Professor Xiang walked in. He scanned the room until his almond shaped eyes fell on me and Merida. He marches over, while I try to act innocent, Merida remains totally oblivious.

"Check mate!" She says, triumphantly watching her bishop slice my king in half and kick him off the board.

"Excellent military strategy, DunBroch. That was quite clever." Xiang says, his usually stony glare now somewhat resembled a smile.

At this, Merida turned her charm on.

"Thanks, Headmaster! Jack left his left flank wiiide open, so, of course, I took my chance!" Xiang smiled again.