let's go - ham wonjin [slight angst, fluff]

[ one-shot, 1.1k words ]

magic from above. the former brightness of the sky painted in red-orange slowly fading as a vast amount of gray crawled onto the big celestial canvass, sprinkling it with tiny glittering stars that formed constellations.

classes had long ended, consuming the energy of each student. it was the typical stressful day for everyone, but being a part of the student council intensified it.

wonjin leaned back to his seat. he was hoping that this time. maybe this time. he would be finally able to rest. however, the student council president showed no mercy as he was reminded of the reports that had to be submitted the next day. he was one of the senior representatives.

a sigh left his lips. he had no other possible choice but to oblige himself in doing so. yet he was reluctant to work on it alone. the other senior representative should help him.

it was already 7pm, camping near the dormitory should do the trick. he can just wait for you. as he supposed your classes were already over by now. that was a lot of more of a better idea that diving to pile of reports alone.

and that was what he did.

the boarding school only had few general rules, schedules for meals, dormitory curfews, observing silence, and so on. any violation would lead to a detention slip.

"y/n should be on their way back by now." wonjin leaned by the wall. he pulled his phone out to check the time. an hour before the curfew. rolling his eyes, a silent curse flowed out of his lips. what made his frown grow distinct was the realization that he should've checked if you were already in your room instead of waiting aimlessly by the lobby.

"you idiot," he murmured to himself and sighed in disbelief. "what a dummy."

it was no use though. your roommates had told wonjin that you haven't gone back yet. with the door closing, wonjin looked at the almost empty hallway. he shouldn't be worried, he was aware of that. he shouldn't be thinking where you were. he shouldn't be taking big regard about the absence of your presence may it be for the sake of the reports or not. knowing himself, he could've just made an excuse or settle for a cramming session of doing the whole thing in a night.

wonjin didn't know what urged him to stride towards the exit. what force brought him to go to the different common areas. what made him end up walking in the lagoon, eyes trained on you.

there was comfort on the gentle wind brought by the evening breeze. you sat by a wooden bench which was located beside a towering oak tree. it must have witnessed numbers of people seeking the same serene. a break from the continuous distress caused by the academy itself.

"dummy, go back to your room now before the curfew strikes." his words were enough to catch your attention.

you shifted your gaze from the lake that mirrored the night sky's magnificent display of celestial bodies to his eyes that reflected your figure.

clashing and conflicting thoughts.

after a short moment, you rolled your eyes. why was wonjin here anyway? it was the same question he had asked himself so even without it being admitted verbally, he would never be able to answer.

the two senior representatives were known for their love-hate relationship. if at peace, both of you could work on perfect harmony. if on the other side, the student council office would be set ablaze.

"and what if i don't want to?" it sounded more of a challenge than an actual question. at that time, you were certain the dormitory wouldn't give you much space to think. with your roommates pacing around to finish their projects, you'd probably be delving into the same state as well.

you were tired.

genuinely tired.

with a certain slug of emptiness lodging by your heart, there was only one thing you wanted.

you wanted to go home.

not the dormitory, but your actual home.

the homesickness made you nauseous. it twisted your stomach to several knots, sucking your breath away at the process.

the short gap between the two of you was closed as wonjin took several steps towards you. now that he was also outside, he'd also be on the same trouble you were to face. a detention slip served on the tip of the clock once the two of you get caught for breaking the curfew law. "well, you're going back to the dorm with me whether you like it or not."

"don't you have anything better to do?" you irked, ending your sentence with an audible sigh. for once, you wanted to stay up and stare at the waterscape instead of heading to the dorm to sleep. as if you could actually sleep if ever. with your mind preoccupied with countless running thoughts, it was deemed hopeless.

"what better activity could be done aside from sending a senior representative back to their respective room before the curfew hits the clock?" wonjin shook his head, reaching the side of the bench. his gaze traveled from the lake to you. "what are you even doing here?"

"to find peace," you muttered which gave way to wonjin's chain of questions. asking you what's the problem and if he could do something about it.

since when did wonjin actually even care? you asked yourself for a moment before you raised a brow. "why are you being nice to me anyway? that's almost out of character."

wonjin breathed out a sigh, his countenance getting more serious. "it's a wild speculation that you might be carrying a heavy load right now, but wouldn't a detention slip become a bigger worry or you know... another thing to be anxious about?"

no words were heard from you, so he took it as a sign to proceed to his words. "i don't do hugs, but i can listen to you."

the question wonjin asked himself earlier as to why he was there disappeared along with the reminder of the deadline for the reports. he didn't push another question. extending his hand towards your direction, wonjin spoke. "let's go back to the dorm."