ungodly hour - park serim [fluff]

[ one-shot, 1.7k words ]

if all the equations written on your notes were a sea, you'd probably be already drowning in it. the library was silent, only the flipping of the pages mingled with the sound of the pen running by the paper was heard. soft music was enclosed in your ears through the earphones, preventing you from dozing off.

with narrowed eyes, you stared at your homework for a moment. a sigh of defeat leaving your lips right after. staring won't solve an equation. but you wish it could. you desperately wish it could.

the chair beside you was pulled, a student occupying it right after. he placed his own books on the table and when your eyes met, he gave you a wave. you unplugged the earphones from your ears, a brow raised to the male. "oh, serim? you'll be studying?"

a soft chuckle was heard from serim which made a smile linger on his countenance as he spoke. "yes, i've decided to become a better student."

"ah, i see. hope you'll not change your decision after two minutes," you remarked, returning your focus to your notes as if you were not spacing out earlier before serim arrived.

"thank you so much for the encouragement," serim said, matching the mockery you provided in your words. "i'll work hard."

instead of giving a verbal response, a beam came to your lips. he should be used by now with all the remarks you throw him.

a close friend—it was the title serim had been embracing for the past years. with the two of you meeting on the first day of classes during your freshman year. it went on and on for the next years and now that both of you were in your junior year, close to being inseparable. nearly all classes you enlisted covered the same time slots on his own schedule, making him your classmate for almost all the subjects aside from economics.

another male came to your sight, snapping you out of your thoughts. he pulled the chair adjacent to yours, a small smile visible on his brim. "you're y/n, right?"

your nod was his cue to take the seat in front of you, his own books settled in front of your messily piled things.

"allen ma, a junior as well. you signed up for integral calculus tutoring sessions, right? i'll be your tutor."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ☆

as soon as the classes ended, you closed your notebook. everyone else was shuffling out of the room. you took your time to stare at the whiteboard which was filled with lines and symbols written by your professor. pressing your eyes closed, you leaned back to your chair. a mental note of which should be done this evening was made.

"planning to sleep here?" serim asked, placing his things back to his bag before swinging it to his shoulder.

letting go of a sigh, you opened your eyes to look at him. huffing, you eventually stood to arrange your things. "this is not a desirable location to sleep. i'd rather go back to my dorm than sleep here."

as you were talking the next lecturer entered the room, serim gave the professor a bow which was a gesture that you followed. getting your bag to your shoulder, you nodded your head to the direction of the door. both of you must leave before the next block comes inside for their class.

faint streaks coming from the setting sun came to touch your skin. the hallway was close to being empty, only a few students were around either rushing to go to their next class or leisurely making their way out of the building.

serim and you walked in silence, both drained from the lessons today schedule had brought. the semester was barely halfway the calendar and each passing day, the topics taught were getting harder and harder.