Chapter 4

Archies POV

"Archie! Can you come here for a minute!" Fred called from the kitchen. I jumped off my bed and made my way to the kitchen where my dad was as waiting "what's up?"

"It's getting late can you head to pops to get dinner?" He asked while I nod my head "yeah sure dad. I'll be back soon" I grabbed the keys to the truck.

I felt dad grab my shoulder "don't take long, I know what can happen once you see a girl" He teased

I chuckled "yeah right dad" and headed out the door.

***

After a short drive I rounded the corner to pops to see a giant cloud of smoke rising from the shop. "What the hell" I said to myself in shock. I spun the car into a stop and climbed out running towards the entrance. The door opened easily but I was met with a raging fire behind the counter that was spreading fast, quickly covering my mouth in the attempt to block the smoke from entering my lungs, I scanned the shop looking for anyone who needed to get out "hello is anyone in here?!" I shouted out against my sleeve.

I felt my face heating up from the intense flames in front of me and when I turned around to go back outside, a few simple coughs came from the other end of the diner.

"I'm coming!" I yelled as I made my way towards the sound. I looked at the floor in front of me seeing a person on the floor coughing and trying to gasp for air. I rushed to them and scooped them up into my arms bridle style but by the time I had a secure hold of the person the fire had spread to the entrance trapping us inside.

Panicking, I frantically looked for another way out realising the window was our best option. I put the now unconscious person in a booth as I grabbed a chair and threw it through the window making it smash. I picked them up again and carefully got myself and them out the window and away from the raging inferno.

I ran back to the truck when I felt the person start fidgeting in my arms and for the first time since of I found them inside I got to see who exactly I had saved.

Veronica.

I looked down at her, she groaned in pain softly as she put her small hands onto her throbbing head while squinting. She had a cut across her forehead that bled down her face and part of her dress was ripped but other than that she seemed ok, she slowly closed her eyes again as I placed her into the passenger side of the truck and caressed her cheek softly "your safe now" I whispered. She must of faintly heard me because a small smile sparked on her lips before fading again. Her smile made my whole body tingle, it was so perfect but everything about her was perfect. I felt so safe just being close to her but I knew she would never be mind. She was too good for me.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts before moving around to the drivers side of the truck and getting in and driving towards the hospital.

On the way I grabbed my phone from the dash and called my dad to explain to him what was going on "hey Arch, what's the hold up?" I heard my dads voice on the other side of the phone.

"Dad there was a fire at pops and I went inside to-" I got cut off by my dad speaking quickly "woah wait you went straight into a fire. Are you crazy?" He exclaimed.

"It was lucky I did Veronica needed help, I'm taking her to the hospital. Can you call her parents and tell them what happened" I asked earning a sigh from my dad "you mean the Lodges? Son I'll do it but as soon as you can, come home. I don't want you involved with them" he said harshly

I frowned at his sudden anger when mentioning the Lodges but I didn't need to worry about that right now. I had to focus on Veronica "sure dad" I hung up when we reached the outside of the hospital and I carried Veronica inside.