Past, Present & Future

The tender sound of jazz music embraced you upon entering the familiar space that belonged to your brother. You carefully scanned the bar but you could not spot him.

As you made your way to the bar, your gaze fell on a slender black woman rocking a fierce afro wearing a long golden dress that complimented her delicious cocoa skin.
You were in awe of her as she sang a beautiful ballad, captivating you entirely by her raspy vocals. The turn out for this local artist was phenomenal.

A small group of folks was slow dancing whilst others deeply emerged in her astonishing performance.

The voice of the female bartender behind the counter ripped your eyes away from the singer before placing your order.
A few moments went by when a large glass of Merlot was presented in front of you. Gently nodding as thanks to the female bartender, you took a sip of the rich red wine when suddenly, Jimin appeared with a large box in his hands.

You began studying your brother as he requested something from his employee before she swiftly began to unbox the content. He shot you a quick smile before he disappeared for a moment.
Returning your gaze to the woman, you indulged in the glamour and beauty that was her and her voice.

You didn't have a lot in common with Jimin but one thing you both enjoyed was music.
Ever since you were kids, it was something you bonded deeply over and often used it as an escape.

Eying your brother as he returned, you overheard him order the bartender to do something in the back whilst he took over the unboxing.
Your eyes met briefly and he shot you a small smile before he turned his eyes onto the performer.

"Good, isn't she?" he softly asked and you matched his gaze while you nodded.

"Where did you find her?"

"I didn't," his voice contained a tiny laugh, "She found me," he proclaimed as he took the last item out of the box, "My baby is expanding, people are seeking me out now."

You watched him as he began breaking the box into smaller parts, "I agree, look at this turnout," your eyes then scanned the room once more and you heard him giggle.

You were happy for him, he deserved it. You knew better than anyone what your brother had to face, the obstacles he had to endure to get to where he was. He must have felt proud of himself, to say that you were as well would be an understatement. Despite everything he'd been through, he was still seeing his vision true, he was doing something for himself and you admired that a lot.

"Oh, before I forget," you turned your entire body toward his as you rested your elbows against the cool metal counter, "You do have a table, right?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "Booth 13," he then gestured the direction with a quick nod, "It's further in the back, so you should be okay."

"Great, thanks Jimin," you said before reaching for the deliciously rich Merlot.

Your eyes fell back to the performer when the song ended and you cheered for her as others did. Then a smooth melody of a saxophone began playing as she left the stage before announcing her break.

"Good job," Jimin excitedly said to the slender woman as she approached the bar, "Take a break in the back, there are sandwiches that Phillips just brought."

"I will, thank you, Mr. Park," her speaking voice was much higher and sweeter than her singing voice.
She was soft in her mannerisms and you blinked lightly at the seductive and painfully obvious flirting between her and Jimin.

You eyed her as he did when your gaze then landed on your brother, "What was that?" you hastily asked when the woman got out of view.

"What?"