Chapter Twenty-Seven

Someone was shaking me awake.

I opened my eyes to a worried Stella standing over me.

"Are you okay?? I've been knocking for about ten minutes. I didn't want to come in here but you scared me..."

I grabbed the towel she was holding out for me and stood up, wrapping it around myself.

"No you're fine. I must have fallen asleep I'm sorry." I apologized.

"It's okay honey. I was just worried, I'll let you change so we can go look at the house." She said quickly, trying not to stare at my bruises or swollen eyes.

I nodded.

Once she left the room, I threw on the clothes I picked out.

"Ella?" I asked.

She came in.

"Yes dear?"

"Do you have any foundation?" I asked, pointing towards the dark purple finger prints that were slightly imprinted on my arms.

She nodded, going over to the sink.

"Sit down dear. I can cover them for you."

I sat down in the light blue plush chair that was facing a large mirror.

"Do you care if I brush your hair and do your makeup? I've always wanted to have someone to practice on..." she asked nervously.

She never did anything wrong towards me.

I smiled lightly.

"Go ahead." I confirmed.

Relief ran through her features in the reflection of the mirror.

She grabbed a wet brush and began to brush my hair.

"I'm sorry about everything that happened to you." She said as she gently brushed my hair.

"I don't know how to react to everything." I replied honestly.

She nodded.

I studied my swollen eyes in the mirror. I looked sickly. My hair was longer than it used to be. I frowned as I remembered him holding me down by my hair.

"Your detective will be visiting tomorrow. I heard that there will be court sometime, I don't know when though."

"Do you know how to cut hair?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Yes. I help style a lot of other models a lot, I went to cosmetology school as well. Why dear?"

"I would love for you to cut mine." I suggested.

She nodded enthusiastically.

"Any specific way you want it?" She asked eagerly, as her eyes shined brightly.

"If you could cut it to at least below my chin, whatever you want will be fine." I stated.

She opened a drawer under the mirror and rummaged through it, coming up with scissors.

"I know exactly what would match you." She stated, getting right to it as she began to layer my hair and cut it off.

I closed my eyes as I waited for her to finish.

Each snip I heard felt like a huge weight was released from my shoulders each time.

I smiled as I began to feel like a whole new person, not the one that was held down forcefully by her hair, but one who would never be held down again.