Chapter 3: Anton

Thunk

The boat ground into the sand with a hollow noise and everyone let out a sigh of relief. A few feet back, the floating wagon, with the Dragonstone still wedged in-between the planks of the floor, slowly followed them into the harbor. Dan stepped out of the boat onto the beach with a rope and tied it off on a wooden pillar jutting out from the pier. As Levi returned to land, he felt dizzy, the motion of the water seemed to come with him and he grabbed the side of the gently rocking boat for balance. Elder Shisshion followed him out, though he did not seem to suffer the same problem and stood tall, stretching while watching Dan bring in the wagon.

"You did well Levi. That was a situation which would have caused many men to lose their composure." The elder complimented him and Levi felt pride go through his bones at the rare praise. "I hope this is a lesson to you, the outside world is a harsh place. Perhaps your curiosity will be appeased a bit." The elder looked at Levi who was still grinning at the compliment, the boy tried to smooth his features but failed to conceal his joy. "Well, I suppose that might be too much to wish for. But Boy, remember that in the future you may not be so lucky to escape. We are only here today because the River Guardian was kind enough to let us pass. Had its rage fallen, you would have found that there are some things which are beyond mere mortal men to prevent."

"Got it Elder Shisshion" Levi replied, though inside he was still dreaming of the wild wrath of the River Guardian and the beautiful endless forest on the other side of the Yura. The older man shook his head, concealing his smile as he knew the boy was not really listening. Levi's mind was lost in the beautiful memories. It's so vast, so full of...everything. This island is so empty, the same stuff here, the same stuff there. But out there, there's so much more. I need to know more!

The boy eagerly looked towards the foreigner on the wagon as he arrived. The strange man tossed a rope from the wagon and Dan grabbed it, hauling the carriage in until it was close enough to gently drift to shore with the driver's careful guidance. As it touched down and Dan finished securing the ropes, the foreigner bent down and undid several metal latches. The entire top part of the raft slid off and rolled onto the beach. Levi watched in wonder as the carriage dropped down, the wooden wheels straining slightly while the skin and hull of the raft remained on the Yura, bobbing lightly. He watched in amazement as a blindfolded horse appeared from inside the wagon, its sides heaving. The foreigner smiled at his wonder and turned to Elder Shisshion.

"Are you the elder of Eastrain Village?" He asked. Levi noticed that he had pale skin and seemed to be even older than Elder Shisshion, his beard completely white. He had a curved nose and deep hazel eyes which were slightly hidden under strong eyebrows. His clothes were different from those in the island, more refined and flowery with embroidery and golden threads woven subtly into the black robe. When he stepped forward to shake Elder Shisshion's hands, Levi noticed that his boots were made with metal rings. He stared at the laces passing through them, fascinated. The village was not capable of forging such things and would not waste metal on mere boots anyway. That's knowledge from before the Calamity!

"I'm Elder Shisshion. This man here is Dan, he's a natural sailor, not a Reincarnation but by the Gods he can sail." The elder introduced himself and the foreigner nodded. He looked at Levi next.

"What about the boy? He must have quite the Reincarnation for you to risk taking him out on those waters. What was he, a sailor, or perhaps a fisherman?" The foreigner asked and Levi felt sticky dread grip his stomach. Anxiety made it knot as he wondered what Elder Shisshion would say. The elder for his part didn't hesitate for more than an instant. He glanced at Levi and then back at the foreigner.