Chapter 48: Schemes

"You want me to endorse the Northern Rainland's sovereignty don't you." Jasmine said softly. Eleana nodded her head with a satisfied expression. "But why me? I'm the third in line, why not my brother? Or my sister?" Eleana didn't immediately answer. Instead she strode over and gazed at Levi and Jasmine, contemplating something. It was several seconds before she gave her response.

"I chose you because you're here. I was going to pull the trigger anyway but this gives me an air of legitimacy which I think is quite funny. Also...you're not third in line anymore. Your older sister is dead, killed in the fighting. As for your brother, the prince has disappeared, though I have reason to believe he is not dead. Regardless, most of the current infighting for the throne is between your younger siblings." Eleana paused, giving Jasmine time to digest what she was saying. "So, as it stands..."

"I'm the one with the greatest claim to the Rainlands." Jasmine's voice was not excited. Rather, it sounded almost tired. She didn't even seem surprised. Instead she seemed closer to laughter. "I see. Thank you for telling me this. What now?"

"What do you mean what now?" Levi said. "Isn't it obvious? This is great...well I'm sorry Jasmine, he was your father. But you...you could be Empress! We wouldn't need to warn anyone about the Deathless City, we could just march into the Capital and order the army to prepare for battle!" He was confused when Eleana smiled softly and Jasmine snorted.

"It's not that simple idiot." Jasmine chided him. "And besides, I doubt your sister has any intentions of letting me out of her sight right now. Isn't that right...Temptress?"

"You'd assume right." Eleana replied and Levi's head felt like it was tangled in knots.

"Sis? What's going on?" Levi stood up from the bed, forgetting his weariness.

"Nothing...unexpected. I just can't let her leave. You might see a girl beside you, a friend maybe, but I see the Rainlands in my hands. At the very least, with Jasmine's, or should I say, Yujeon's support, the Northern Rainlands would have the momentum to crush any opposition from the other Regions." Suddenly Eleana's eyes became playful. "Of course, I don't want to have to hold her against my will. If she were to marry someone who supported our ambitions, someone I trust for instance, like my only brother, then I suppose things would become a lot more cut and dry now wouldn't it."

"WHAT?" This time both Jasmine and Levi couldn't contain their shock. Levi's eyes darted between the two women.

"You want me to do what?" He shouted. "We don't even...we aren't like that! Are we?" Levi looked to Jasmine for help, but she just sighed after her initial cry of surprise.

"Do what you want." She said without seeming to care. "It's not like I'm going to have a say in this am I?"

"Well, I can't make you marry my lil bro here. But I could spread rumors that you're considering it. And that's enough to give the other Regions food for thought." Eleana smirked, a smug grin covering her face. Levi hated the look. Why? Why are you doing this? She caught a glimpse of Levi's hurt and rage on his face and grimaced. "Ugh, Levi, I'm not trying to be a bad person here. It just makes so much sense. Listen, you're my only family, I would never do anything that wasn't in your best interest!" When she saw that Levi was unconvinced, she sighed. "Ok, come outside. Jasmine still needs rest. If you'll excuse us, we need to have a heart to heart between family."

"Sure, whatever." Jasmine acted like she didn't care whatsoever, laying her head back down into the pillow. "Just remember, the Deathless City gets closer every day..."

"Jasmine? I'll be back. Okay?" Levi said hesitantly as he started to leave. She just waved him on. Why is she like this? Is she just tired? This is crazy, I'd be furious!

"I'll be here..." She replied listlessly while they left. Once they were outside, Levi tried to speak to Eleana but she waved her hand.

"Let's get you back to your room. You shouldn't be moving so much lil bro. And even if my men are loyal, you never know who's listening in a castle you didn't build..." Eleana hushed him. Levi was about to protest but then he realized he really was weak and when she offered him her shoulder to lean on, at first, he tried to refuse but he almost fell. Grudgingly, he took her arm. They marched in silence back through the hallway to his own room and bed. Once he was on it, Levi glared at his sister until she had to hold up her hands.

"Levi, I'm sorry! Don't look at me like that! It was just an idea! You seemed like you were close to her and I saw the opportunity...I mean come on, you realize if you were to marry her then you would technically be the next Emperor right?" She said hastily but Levi just continued to glare at her and she backed off. "Okay, okay, my bad, lil bro. But I really can't let her go. Now listen to me, I said I'd protect you, and this is the best way to do it." She looked at Levi to see his expression.