Chapter 26: Lightning

Dag's Corner Store

He walked in and greeted the owner, a small man who seemed a bit curious at the torn state of his shirt and pants, but quickly helped him find some foods which would keep. After going from one section to the next, Levi bought two sturdy packs, a small pot, metal utensils and a ton of what Jasmine had asked for. The owner was talkative, clearly bored as Levi was the only other person in the store.

"You wouldn't believe how bad the Shatterstorm hit us young man. Crazy thing aint it? Been so long since the Calamity, never thought I'd see one again. Suppose it was more of a hope than a certainty though." The owner shrugged ruefully, pointing at another aisle. "Jerky's over there. I recommend the cinnamon, it's quite good, like to munch on it myself." Levi followed his finger and brought as much jerky as he could to the counter.

"You planning on traveling with this much stuff young man? Be careful, the Shatterstorms are nothing to mess with. Better bring a tarp in case they come again, I got a few in the back if you want em." The man looked at Levi and though his voice didn't change, his eyes softened. "You remind me of my son, always hitting the road no matter how much is out there. I guess that's humans for ya, always exploring. Lemme go grab them tarps for ya, I'll throw them in for free..." The old man disappeared into the back before Levi could ask him what the storm had done. A second later as Levi finished putting everything on the counter, the door opened, a little clatter of wooden chimes rang.

"I'll be right out!" The owner yelled, still rummaging around out of sight. Levi turned towards the door, only to see Jasmine hurrying inside. She quickly grabbed Levi's arm.

"We need to go!" She whispered, looking towards the back furtively. "There's men outside looking for us."

"What? More men from the Deathless City?" Levi whispered but Jasmine shook her head, the fox mask constantly looking over her shoulder though the window was blocked by shelves filled with snacks.

"No, it's men from the Capital, must be one of my siblings, but I don't know which, they're not wearing any of the sigils I know. This is bad, we have to get out of Ceda, now! Are you done? Grab the stuff and let's go!" She started to toss things into the packs, not bothering to wait for the owner to come back. Levi guiltily looked towards the back of the store.

"Hold on, we need to pay for this!" He yelped as Jasmine tossed him one of the packs. "Jasmine!"

"Hey! What are you..." The owner came out and saw Jasmine's masked face hand Levi the bag. His face hardened, but upon seeing Levi's hesitation, and the fistful of coins in his hand, just quickly strode forward. He held up his palms when Jasmine's knife came out.

"Relax. Relax. Take it, I don't know where you're going, I didn't see anything. You'll need this out there. I saw you had two packs, so I brought two." He held out two large plastic tarps, as well as collapsible rods. "They'll keep you dry if it rains."

"Thank you very much!" Levi happily said, astonishment on his face. He held out the coins but the owner just shook his head.

"Go out the back." He said. Jasmine turned to Levi, and then back at the man who walked behind the counter. She fished out several glinting coins from her bag and tossed them at him despite his refusal and then grabbed the other bag and ran deeper into the store. Levi followed, and they heard the chimes clatter right as they found the exit.

"Can I help you?"

"We're looking for someone, have you seen a girl today?" A man asked.

"Well I see a lot of girlies, but I haven't seen no one today if that's what you're asking. Streets are empty, can't you see?" Levi heard the owner reply as they quietly opened the backdoor and slipped out into the darkness. That was close!

"Which way?" Levi asked, Jasmine pointed down the road at a signpost.

"We'll take the trail north, but we'll have to decide where to go later. There are too many men following us. I'm afraid at the next city they'll be waiting for us, even if they don't catch us on the road." She sprinted through the streets, and Levi was struck by how empty it was. They stuck the side, avoiding what few people they did see. A couple looked their way, but Levi hoped that no one would remember exactly where they went.

"Okay, that must be the gate. I only see one man; it must be short-staffed. We'll walk out separately. Act casual. Wait a few minutes when I get through, then meet me at the trees, just in case they're looking for two of us." Jasmine planned it out and then started walking. Sweat dripped down Levi's back. He was acutely aware of the fact that a day ago, he had been on death's door. And yet, today he was running around. This can't be good for me. But why do I feel fine? How did that doctor save me?

He watched nervously as Jasmine approached the guard at the gate. Please don't recognize her. Please let her through. She approached the open exit and the guard looked back at her. He stared at her mask for a little bit and Levi felt his heart stop. Oh gods she's been recognized! Levi stood, his breath whooshing out as he prepared to run out there, but then the guard turned back to face the front. He sighed in relief. Jasmine continued to walk, completely unbothered, giving no notion that she had even noticed the guard. She passed him and went out the gate. I...think she's clear...WAIT!

"NO NO NO!" Levi scrambled to his feet and ran out of his hiding spot at the end of the street. He watched in horror as the guard's sword came free of its sheath. Levi pounded the dirt, hitting his top speed, but it wasn't enough. The guard was already stealthily leaving his post. Jasmine was completely unaware, still nonchalantly walking without looking back as usual. I...what do I do! What do I do! I'm not going to make IT!

"JASMINE!" He screamed and she turned as the guard came up behind, her mask showing no emotion. Levi watched as if in slow motion as her hand went into her robe for her knife, but she fumbled slightly, caught by surprise. No!

Levi concentrated. He tried to move faster. He was already moving as fast as he could go. Every single time I was frozen. Always watching while other people get hurt for me. This time, I'm up. I'm moving. BUT WHY CAN'T I HELP HER! He strained every muscle in his body trying to get there in time. But it was too late. Jasmine jumped back gracefully, yet she couldn't gain enough distance. The guard swung his sword and she was forced to fall to the ground to evade. Levi watched in horror; one hand outstretched as if he could pull her out of the way.

"Dodge!" He screamed!

He knew it was useless, that she was going to die, but he couldn't accept that. Then everything changed

KRAAAAAANGGG!

The guard froze as a tongue of lightning licked him from a clear sky. He shivered, his sword stopping mid-swing. Jasmine watched in astonishment, her head swiveling to face Levi for a second. For his part, Levi was in shock too. Did I just...make lightning appear? He stared at his outstretched hand, remembering the blue bolt that had come between him and the guard. Not a moment later, he heard a gargle as Jasmine got to her feet and plunged her dagger into the soldier's neck.