Chapter 43: Why Didn't You Take Me With You?

Peirce dashed forward. Levi stood his ground, desperately trying to hold his sword straight but he was just too tired. There was something different about this enemy, he was hard to see, blurry, a shadow. Levi's tired eyes couldn't follow his movements. Still, Levi raised his arm as if to channel lightning and the shadow hesitated. But when no spark came forth, Peirce grinned an evil smile and rushed in. Ah...crap.

Twang!

Whump!

A blur of motion. Peirce halted, an arrow in front of one foot. Huh? Levi dropped down to one leg utterly spent. The snow fell on his eyes and he wanted to wipe them but he didn't have the strength to raise his hand anymore. Slowly, he let his outstretched palm drop. Then his sword. His other leg buckled and he found himself on his knees and elbows. It's cold.

"Who's there!" Peirce yelled, looking around, but when he made another step towards Levi, a second arrow thudded down beside his foot and a cry rang out.

"Hold there! What do you think yer doing, killing in Yi territory!" Levi couldn't see properly. He blinked, and did his best to raise his head. Saw men coming from all sides in strange white armor. One of them stepped forward, the sigil of a broadsword on his breast. The straining sound of nocked bows being tightened filled the woods. "The North is a hard-enough place as it is without people going about murdering each other. Give me one good reason I shouldn't have you shot where you stand?"

"I...I'm here on orders from the Capital! If you're smart, you won't interfere. The House of Yi has no pl-" Peirces words were cut off by another arrow, almost dangerously close to his foot and he cursed. "Damn you man! I'm trying to do the Emperor's work, and if you shoot one more arrow, I'll be sure to mention this in my report!" The armed man squinted at Peirce, and Levi felt his heart seize. The Emperor's work? He's lying! I need to say something!

"Hahaha...very funny. Very funny. You really don't think much of us, do you?" The leader of the men laughed. "We might be isolated up here, but the House of Yi has heard of Emperor Jie's death! You have no power up here. From now on, the Northern Rainlands are no longer under the Capital's rule! Now stop your trickery. We shall take you for judgement."

"You...YOU...!" Peirce was unable to speak as the men pressed him in. "You'll regret this!" However, he was forced to drop his blade and bend down to be tied. Levi felt relief coursing through him. We made it to the North. I need to...I need to tell them...

"Now who are you?" Levi felt a cold glove on his chin. It lifted his head and he met the leader of the men face to face. "What are you, some murderer, scoundrel? A refugee from the Capital? And what are you fighting over...a girl?" Levi wanted to stop him from touching Jasmine, who had fallen unconscious in the blankets. But he had no strength left. I need to...

"I-I'm Levi! My sister Eleana...she was married in Eastrain...don't trust that man! Please, you have to tell her...tell her Levi from Eastrain is here! There are men from the Deathless City at the border...help..." Levi's voice failed him as the man turned back sharply to stare at him.

"What did you say! Men from the Deathless City? And...Eastrain...you can't be. Say what you just said again! Clearly-!" The man rushed over to try to speak to him but Levi's limbs couldn't hold out any longer. He dropped onto his face into the cold snow. Darkness clouded his sight and he was swept away. Jasmine. I'm sorry. I tried my best. But I can't do any more. I hope it was enough...