Chapter 57: Endless Pursuit

The rain fell endlessly, a pouring deluge which drowned out the world. Levi and Jasmine walked slowly, being careful to hold their umbrellas up and avoid even a single drop landing on them. I'm tired. But we can't stop. Jasmine looked at him from time to time.

"Do you want to rest?" She said worriedly. "Ever since you used that lightning, you've looked ready to collapse."

"No...they could be following us. If we can use these," He shook his umbrella slightly, "So can they." Jasmine glanced over her shoulder, but it was impossible to see anything through the storm. By their feet, the rain had begun to mix with the snow, turning it into a shimmering slush-like mixture. She sighed.

"Suit yourself. At least horses definitely won't be able to travel in this. They'll send men on foot. It's the only way." Her voice turned grim. "But we have a problem." Levi looked at her, before turning his gaze back to the ground.

"What?"

"They know where we're going." Jasmine hopped over an icy pool of water. "This trail only goes one way. Portas is the only possible direction we could be going, unless we cut through the forest, but that'd be too risky." Her stride quickened, the urgency of the situation unconsciously increasing her pace.

"Well, that's all the more reason not to stop. It's fine, I feel better now anyways." Levi made an effort to straighten his back, and walk straight, but Jasmine didn't seem convinced. An hour or two later, the air grew chilly as a cold wind blew from the north and the rain turned to snow. Levi wearily let the umbrella drop as the flakes drifted down. Jasmine started a bit, but after seeing his acceptance, put hers away too.

"I wonder why the snow's safe but the rain's not." She warily took off her glove and let a white flake land on her finger. It melted and she jerked, but relaxed as nothing happened. Sticking her finger into her mouth under her mask, she licked it clean. "Levi?"

"Huh? Oh yea..." Levi tiredly replied. He had been drifting off. Jasmine gave him another worried look but didn't comment any further. Wait...if the rain's stopped...we need to hurry! He stumbled but burst into a jog. Jasmine trotted next to him.

"Why are we running?" She said anxiously. "You can't keep this up for long!" Levi just pointed to the sky and the closed umbrella on his back. The cold snow blew into his face and he blinked.

"Now that the rain's stopped, they'll be on the move too." He said tiredly. Understanding dawned in Jasmine's eyes. "How much farther do you think it is to Portas?"

"Two days." She answered. A little absentmindedly, she ran her fingers on his forearm. "If we sleep that is. Without sleep...we could make it in one. But once we get there, what then? They'll find us there."

"I'll...we'll figure it out when we get there." Levi closed his eyes for a second. But when he did, he felt like he could hear footsteps behind them. I'm too tired for this...if I could just rest...

Crunch.

He stopped listening, Jasmine walked another few steps, before noticing. It was faint, but obvious when the sound of her footsteps faded away.

Crunch.

The other steps ceased but not before Levi heard them. His heart pounded. They're already here!

"RUN!" His weariness disappeared as adrenaline flooded every part of his being. Jasmine took off like a shot with him and instantly he heard the phantom footsteps break into a run as well. "How did they find us that fast!"'

"I don't now! It doesn't make sense!" Jasmine breathed, pumping her fists.

"Duck!" Levi yelled as a huge tree branch blocked their way. He darted underneath, and came out running on the other side. His sword rattled against his waist. Behind him, he heard multiple footsteps and he strained to increase his pace. Wait...I don't hear any metal on them. He called out to Jasmine, "They're not wearing armor!"

"Must've been trying to sneak up on us!" She said, huffing. "We're losing them, they must be getting tired!"

"So am I!" Levi replied, gasping for breath. A sound that he dreaded exploded next to him. CRAP!

A man burst out of the trees on their left, running laterally to cut them off. He was clearly tired, exhausted, but he ran in nevertheless. On their right, another man appeared, also crossing the distance, the two of them moving to intercept them. Levi considered using a blast of lightning on one, but was sure that if he did, he wouldn't be able to run anymore. His hand dropped to the sword at his belt. Beside him, Jasmine drew hers. It looked too big in her hands. He wasn't used to seeing her with such a large blade. She nodded at him, turning to the right.

"I'll take this one!"

"No wait, we'll take them together!" Levi suddenly changed course, following her to the right. Jasmine gave him a look of surprise but didn't argue. It was a smart move. The man on their left saw what they were doing but was too far away to catch up in time. Together, they ran down the man on the right, two on one. Jasmine darted in first, and as the enemy reacted, Levi remembered how Peirce and his men had worked together. As soon as the man tried to attack her, Levi was there, slashing at his left side. Their foe drew back, lost his balance just slightly in the snow. It was all Jasmine needed. Viciously, she darted in, her sword stabbing up under his neck before he could even get his guard up. Red blood splattered the snow, little crimson circles marring the white perfection. Jasmine ripped her sword out and Levi started to turn to prepare for the man catching up on their left, but she grabbed his hand.

"Just keep running, there's too many!" She screamed. Levi glanced back, and saw she was right. Several dark figures ran at them, all in white clothes and wielding swords. None of them wore armor, traveling light to catch up to them. He shook his head, a sense of inevitability taking hold of him, but the little voice inside that was his Reincarnation gave him the determination to start running again. I've handled worse before. This is not the end! I won't let it be!