Chapter 41: Peirce

"Damnit give me that, shut her up!" The man angrily ordered. Levi's eyes went wide. What's happening? If she's screaming...she's dreaming again. This is my chance, while they're distracted! I need to get in closer! He crept in steadily, taking care to step softly. Fortunately, the men were upwind of him and the howling storm would blow away the soft crunches his feet made on the snow. Shivers wracked his body but Levi was excited, heat blossoming in his belly and spreading through his body. I found you! I'm coming! He hurried, taking his frozen hands out of his pockets and drawing his sword once more. Wrapping his fingers around the hilt, he tried to wiggle them. The digits refused to move, and he grinned, satisfied. I won't let go until I get her back!

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Jasmine's screams continued and Levi winced, remembering how impossible it had been to wake her up. From the sounds of it her captors had also discovered the same problem, but Levi was thankful because it gave him a chance to find her now. They're right ahead. Behind those trees...need to slow down. Levi was tempted to rush in like a vengeful god and attempt to just slay everyone, but he knew it was a bad idea. Regardless of how much stronger he he had become in the last few days, the men ahead were trained killers, possibly Warrior Reincarnations or worse. In the past, this would have filled Levi with fear and his hands would be shaking. However, this Levi was different. His hands were clenched in a death-grip on his sword. I'm not afraid! Adrenaline surged inside his veins instead of fear. The rising need for action claimed his body and he pressed himself behind a tree, seeing the light of a fire just ahead in a small clearing. Peering around the trunk, he observed the enemy. A small sled upon which a bundled form lay. Levi caught sight of a flash of silver hair, a pointed mask underneath the blankets. Jasmine! Stay right there, I'm coming for you!

"You gave her too much Peirce!" One man said from under a heavy coat. He kneeled next to Jasmine's sled and checked under her arm bracer, examining something Levi couldn't see. "That was enough to kill you and I, hell probably all of us here!"

"Just shut your trap and make sure she doesn't wake up. I didn't bring you here to talk." A man, who Levi assumed was Peirce, growled. "She's special, she'll be fine. You have no idea who you're dealing with here."

"..." The first man started to open his mouth but shut it with a second look at Peirce. There were two other men in the clearing, standing guard, watching in opposite directions. Levi was elated. Only four! It's a stretch. But maybe, just maybe, I can surprise them. Or split them up! He longed to just jump in and save Jasmine now but knew he had to wait for the perfect moment. They're too ready for me. It won't work. Levi stretched, holding his sword under his shirt against his belly to keep his hands warm. Think Levi, how can I do this. Jasmine would have some way to separate them. And she wouldn't be afraid to kill them. I need to be as good as her.

"Levi! Levi! Help me! It's dark! I can't see! He's coming for me!" Jasmine's tortured cry for help almost made Levi forsake his cover and run to her, enemies or not. What? Jasmine! She knows I'm here? He tensed, peering around the trunk of the pine tree to try to see what was happening, ready to fight at any second. Oh...no she's still dreaming. I'm sorry Jasmine, just wait a little bit longer okay? He watched as she writhed in the sled, and the man named Peirce cursed.

"I told you...to keep her quiet!" He walked up to the sled and kicked it but that only made Jasmine scream louder. "Damnit! Give her more!"

"I can't! I really can't! She'll definitely die! This is insane, she should be dead already!" The kneeling man said beside her helplessly. "Please! You have to listen to me, she won't survive any more!"