Chapter 62: I know Who You Are And That's Enough

Drop some likes and comments, lemme know what you think about the story! Thanks for reading!

"Because if I let you up, you'll go...won't you?" Her voice was small, not what a killer should sound like. Levi's eyes became foggy, he blinked and they overflowed. "You won't stay!"

"Is that what you're worried about? That I'd leave you?" He whispered back. She nodded, her own tears splashing onto Levi's face. Her new red hair fell over him like a curtain, sealing him away from the light, so all he could see was her mask and her eyes behind.

"I'm not who you thought I was. I've always lied to you. I lied to everyone. You'll leave me if I don't hold you down." Jasmine cried. "I'm a monster. A monster who kills everyone she meets." Levi couldn't bear to let her speak anymore. He reached out, not caring about her reaction as he put his hand over hers on the knife. Lifted it off his neck.

"I don't care. I never knew your real name when I first met you. It never mattered to me. To me, you'll always be Jasmine, and I'll follow you to the ends of this earth. I'll stay with you no matter who others think you are, no matter who you think you are. I don't care if you're Yujeon, I don't care if you're someone else. As long as you're you, I'll stay with you." Levi raised his hands over behind Jasmine's head. Closed his eyes and lifted her mask up under the dark curtain of her hair. Then he intertwined his fingers in the strands and pulled her down to his lips. The kiss felt right, even though everything that had happened was so wrong. Jasmine gave a soft sound of surprise, but she didn't resist, just floating there like a trapped butterfly. When she broke away, ending the kiss, it was like a spell had broken, but Levi didn't mind. He moved his fingers up, to help push her mask back on before he opened his eyes. He didn't expect Jasmine to bear down and kiss him again. Oh.

It was sweet. Perhaps he should have tasted blood, or salt from the tears they had shed. But he swore it was sweet. Her unique scent enveloped him, and he wished he could stay trapped there forever, underneath her warm body. But nothing lasts forever. This time, he broke away, applying a gentle pressure with his fingers to her head, lifting her up. Gently, keeping his eyelids shut, he pulled her mask down. She whispered to him as he opened his eyes.

"Don't you want to know?"

"I told you. It doesn't matter to me. I know who you are and that's enough for me." He replied. She blinked. A last tear fell onto his face before she slid her knee off of him. Sunlight caused Levi to squint as he realized dawn had finally broken, and a new day was upon them. Jasmine rose and so did he. Levi placed his arm around her shoulder, and together they walked to the edge of the roof, staring over the burning city to the sky beyond. Forever. No matter who you are, I'll stay with you forever.

#

It was some time after they left the city before either of them spoke again. Out past the no man's land, on the edge of the woods, they finally stopped, hesitating.

"You know how sometimes you act like someone completely different when you remember your past life? That's what it's like for me. Sometimes I say things, and I do things, and I know things I shouldn't, I couldn't." Jasmine explained herself to Levi without his asking, beside the swaying trees. "Are you sure you're okay with that? That I could be anyone, to anyone?"

Levi replied simply, just one line,

"Yea. I get it." Then he was silent, admiring the sky. He turned back towards Portas, watching the people start to leave their homes, no doubt finding the dead soldiers and guards. Squeezed her hand tighter, leaning in for a kiss under the setting sun. When they pulled apart, Jasmine sighed, "So...what now?"

Levi thought for some time. The people of the city were bustling above the sky pass, putting out fires, collecting bodies. However, out here, they heard none of that, just the wind whistling as it rustled through the trees. It was peaceful. Jasmine looked at Levi. His eyebrows scrunched together, the air thickening as a static charge caused the hairs on her neck to rise. He's changed.

"Now." Levi said quietly. "Now, I'm tired of running. Everyone treats you as if you're Yujeon. You've suffered for their dreams. But what about your dreams, Jasmine? We've grown stronger. The Deathless City is still coming yet the Capital does nothing. People like my sister only want to wait and watch. They need someone to lead them."

"What are you saying?" Jasmine whispered, though deep down, she already knew. Levi took a step forwards, towards the West. He pulled gently on her hand. She followed him into the woods.

"We'll march on the Capital. It's time to take what's yours."

End of The Rainlands Book One: Grand Delusion.