Chapter 56: She's Not Who You Think She Is

"RUN!" Levi grabbed Jasmine's hand and pushed himself to go even faster, practically pulling her along. They crossed into the tree cover, but not before the approaching torches on the left starting to flicker as their owners began to turn, no longer heading for the castle. "They see us! We gotta get into the trees!"

"I know!" Jasmine yelled back, and they ran headfirst into the trail which was overgrown and covered in snow. Up above, the sky rumbled deeply, thunderous blasts of lightning coming from the East. "It's going to rain! We need shelter!"

"Take this!" Levi reached back and grabbed the umbrellas, holding one out for Jasmine. Snatching it from his hands, she undid the latch and it shot out shielding her head. Levi did the same, and they continued despite the ominously charged atmosphere, crashing through the snow and trees while the storm rolled in above. Fortunately, the pines that made up most of the trail were large enough that their branches did not start until above their umbrellas. Levi glanced up. Hopefully those branches will stop any horsemen from following us!

"Are these going to be enough?" Jasmine asked, pointing to the umbrella. Levi shook his head.

"I don't know! Keep running!" Fire burned in his heart, and his whole being revolved around one thing. Get Jasmine out! He was scared but he didn't have a single regret. I made the right choice! The sound of their footsteps shattering the forest were soon joined by others. It was hard to hear over the storm but Levi knew they were there. But who are they? Did my sister win? Did Peirce? Is Sis okay? He didn't have the luxury of checking, and he hoped his sister forgave him for disobeying her orders. She can't decide what I do anymore. I chose to help Jasmine! I won't let anyone stop me, even if it's her!

The wind blew through the trees, rattling the needles, knocking them down. It was fierce, Levi hoped the umbrellas were strong enough to hold! He kept a tight grip on the handle to keep it from blowing away and his other hand on Jasmine's. Then he heard it...another set of footsteps crashing through the undergrowth.

"Someone's coming!" He yelled and Jasmine responded.

"I know!" They kept running, but Levi could hear the others gaining on them. Do they have horses? Can anyone even run in this? The footsteps became louder and Levi knew they weren't going to escape them. "They're gaining on us!" He warned.

"What you want to stop or something!" Jasmine said sarcastically, squeezing his hand. "If we get deep enough into the trees maybe they'll stop!"

Levi heard it now. The distinct canter of horses on the snow. It grew louder and louder, and when he finally couldn't resist anymore; he glanced over his shoulder and almost fell! DAMN!

"Jasmine!" He shouted, as behind them, two riders appeared in the darkness, hunched low over their horses to avoid getting whipped by the trees. They were familiar...Levi didn't even care if he wasted air, he was too confused, "It's Peirce...and Sis?!"

"What?!" Jasmine turned around, and almost stumbled as well, he felt her hand go slack on his for a second as she saw Peirce galloping in on a horse while Levi's sister trailed behind, rapidly catching up. "Why are those two together! What the hell is happening!" She yelped as Levi jerked her hand, pulling her to run faster.

"I don't know! But we can't stop!" He shot forward like an arrow. Eleana's voice came from behind them.

"Levi! Stop! You don't understand!" She screamed from atop her horse's back, her expression fierce. Levi responded with a blast of lightning from his hand at Peirce!