Chapter 11: Disbelief

Two years later

"Did you hear? They say that some sort of sea-beast has gone crazy near the border. I heard it's some creature the Deathless City has summoned to prey upon our shores. According to the stories, even the rain has changed." An overly-animated man told his neighbor who snorted into his watered-down beer. "What? Don't believe me? It's true!"

"Oh really? Just like how you thought there was a monster in the woods? Or perhaps that time you thought the Deathless Emperor was a vampire? Come on Jared, you'll say anything people whisper in your ears." Another man elbowed his talkative friend in the ribs and stabbed his fork into his meat pie. "It's all just baseless rumours. But you know...funny you should mention the border. I have a cousin up thereabouts. Haven't heard from him in months. It feels like none of the traders have been coming through. Maybe something is up." His neighbor nodded emphatically.

"See I told you so!" He added as if that confirmed his stories as fact. In the corner of the room, Levi tried to control his emotions. He pinched the skin on his wrist, holding his temple. Forced himself to remember what had happened the last time he had tried to convince the people of Neida of what had happened. The laughter still rang in his ears. However, when he heard what the man said next, his fragile calm was blown away.

"I'm not sure but you remember what that kid said? What was his name, Leaf or something? Wasn't he talking about the border?" The man's voice grew hushed as he looked over at Levi. Unable to hold back any longer, Levi stood up and matched his eyes. Instantly the customer looked sideways, embarrassed that he had been caught. His companion held up his hands to apologize but it was too late. Levi walked over, each stride purposeful. I shouldn't do this. Yoro won't like it.

"It's Levi. Levi of Eastrain. And that sea-beast your talking about? That was our River Guardian. Holding off the Deathless City. To save all our butts." Levi said every word clearly, leaving no mistake that he was serious. However, when the two men heard him, they gradually grew still. Then their lips stretched and they glanced at each other and laughed.

"Holding off the Deathless City? Hahaha that's a good one! A River Guardian, I suppose the Direwolves around here could be our guardians too eh? We could call them Forest Guardians, doesn't have the same ring to it though." One of the men joked, his hooked nose bobbing with every gasping breath. His neighbor however, upon seeing the tightness on Levi's face stopped him.

"Jared, I don't think he's joking. I think he...honestly believes it." He said but the man named Jared just continued to laugh harder. Until Levi slammed his fist down on the table. The two men looked up, the smiles falling off their faces as a hush descended on the tavern.

"I'm telling you. My village died because of the Deathless City. And the only reason you lot haven't done the same is because of their sacrifice and the River Guardian. If it wasn't holding back the Deathless City...I'd like to see how you fare when an outsider's blade slits your throat-" Levi stared dangerously at the men who were no longer laughing. One of them began to reach towards the knife on his belt when Yoro, the tavern owner breezed by. The big man grabbed Levi, nodding his heads to the men.

"Don't worry about Levi here. He's a good lad. Your meals are on the house tonight. But I think some fresh air would be nice, wouldn't it?" He looked pointedly at the man's hand on his knife. Slowly, the man released it, nodding.

"Yea, I think some fresh air would be nice. Come on, Jared. Let's get out of this hole." He gathered his friend who was giving Levi a strange expression. Levi glared back but stopped and looked at the ground as Yoro grabbed his arm by the elbow. After the men left, Yoro dragged Levi into the kitchen, and the young man felt ashamed as he shuffled past the stilted conversations in the diner. Damn it, I let Yoro down again.

"So..." Yoro said as he brought Levi past his wife and into the little hallway behind the oven. "What exactly did I tell you last time?" Levi just continued to look at his feet and Yoro sighed.

"Levi, Levi, I told you not to talk about the Deathless City with our patrons. Listen, I know something happened and it was very traumatic for you, but we have a peace treaty now. It's been years since the war and there are plenty of folk who still remember that their family members died so we could forget about it. No one wants to talk about going to war again. You can't be spreading these rumors..."

"But they're true!" Levi couldn't keep silent, forcing himself to meet Yoro's eyes. "I saw it myself. If people would just believe me, we could stop the Deathless City!"

Smack!