Chapter 61: Why?

Suddenly Peirce rushed him, and Levi was out of time to react! He raised his sword in his right hand, channeling what little lightning he could into the blade and swung it at Peirce, aiming not for the man...but for his sword! The two blades met in the air once more, and Levi stepped in, straining with all his might, trying to knock the other man's sword out of his hands. Peirce was too good for that, he wrapped his blade around Levi's, the steel tinkling as it slid, and then forced the sword out of Levi's hand. It was within Levi's calculation. He let go of his sword, aimed his right hand at Peirce's chest, took another step in, so Peirce couldn't stab him. Peirce snarled at him, "Didn't I tell you to try something new!" The murderous enforcer let go of his own sword, letting it drop and reached out with both hands glowing to cover Levi's right palm. When he grabbed it, Levi felt a burning heat wash over him as some terrible light imprisoned his hand. "You're too easy, kid. I'm a better swordsman, a better Reincarnation. You have nothing. No more tricks."

"You're better than me." Levi admitted. Peirce's grin widened. His palms superheated, scalding Levi's right hand. For a split second, Peirce closed his eyes, savoring the moment. Levi didn't cry in pain though. He just whispered, "But you forgot your knife." And then he stabbed Peirce with the blade hidden in his left hand!

"Hu-?" Peirce's grunt as Jasmine's dagger entered his side was almost comical. The surprise on his face, it was perfect. Levi pressed the blade deeper, remembering how Peirce had pressed Jasmine down, suffocated her. "Y-You argh!"

"Time's up. Just die." Levi said coldly. Peirce groaned, shoving Levi back. The knife slid out of him as Levi fell down, blood streaming from the wound. Got him. The bleeding man staggered, but did not fall. He stuck a finger into the hole in his side, the pain starting to hit him.

"You bastard! I should have killed you in your sleep! Damn you, damn your whore of a sister! You stabbed me!" Peirce screamed one more time before backing away. His voice wasn't anywhere near as defeated as Levi imagined it would be. Instead, it dropped, turning sinister as he wheezed. "Well done...well done kid. But I told you...just the tip of the iceberg. You're in over your head. You see THIS?" He reached into his coat, and Levi tensed, but he just removed a white scroll which unrolled when his thumb brushed over the clasp, revealing a painting on white canvas. A girl with silver hair danced on it. "This...This is Yujeon Jie, third in line of the House of Jie. Look familiar?" He painfully smirked, holding his side. "She shouldn't, because she's dead! The girl you know?" Peirce's finger brushed over the painting, leaving a long red smear over the beautiful girl, marring her silver hair. "She's not who you think she is! Even if everyone thinks that girl is Yujeon, she's not!" He backed away a step, staggering a little, blood dripping down his outstretched palm onto the painting like red rain. "She's got you all fooled! Your sister might be called the Temptress but this girl? She's far worse. Everyone in the Rainlands is a victim of her delusions! Even still, my employer believes her to be of far more value than you could imagine. I told you, Levi. I'm just the tip of the iceberg. You're out of time. Men! Bring him down. But take the girl alive! If she dies, I'll kill you." After barking one last order, Peirce backed into the shadows, slowly disappearing. The last thing Levi saw was his yellow eyes flashing before a dozen pairs of eyes appeared in their place. Crap! I forgot about his men! There was no time to celebrate the victory. Levi immediately realized he was screwed but he didn't give up. I need to keep them away from Jasmine! He transferred the dagger to his right hand, but he was exhausted, his hand shaking too much. Damnit! Have to run!

And run he did. Back the way he came. He tried to buy time, buy distance. I can't stop them. But at least I can give Jasmine some time to get away. He knew he was lying to himself, that she had been drugged, but he had to try. The men behind gave chase but desperation gave Levi one last burst of speed. He reached Jasmine first. Considered that maybe he had just led them straight to Jasmine. But Peirce would have just told them where she was anyway. Jasmine was still collapsed where Peirce had left her. Her moans showed she was in the middle of some nightmare.