Chapter 45: Castle Hei

Levi scrambled to get out of the blankets, realizing that someone had changed him into fresh clothes. They were soft, of a far higher quality than the ones he had been wearing before. He tried to get out of bed and groaned. Eleana looked at him with concern.

"I'm serious kiddo, don't rush. You almost died out there. I just got you back. Your friend can wait." Eleana said. But Levi wasn't stopping for anything. He swung a foot off the bed onto the cold floor and wished he had done it more slowly. One step at a time. Got his other foot out. Stood on his feet. His muscles were incredibly sore and he had the worst headache of his life. It hurts. But it's bearable!

"How long was I asleep?" Levi asked, expecting Eleana to say a few hours. She smiled however, a wolfish grin on her face.

"Uhh about a day or so. You were dreaming. Something about revenge and this and that. Called my name a few times actually. And hers. She must mean a lot to you, for you to call her name more than mine." Eleana's playful expression was almost convincingly upset. She grabbed Levi's shoulder, propping him up. "Slowly bro. You look like hell. I can't believe you just got up!"

"I need to see her. It's important!" Levi declared and his sister looked at him critically but helped him to the door.

"Sure thing, lil bro. If it matters that much to you. Just don't hurt yourself." They made their way to the door, and then when that opened, a great stone hallway. Levi was shocked at how large the building they were in appeared to be. Judging from the length of this one hallway, it was no mere apartment or house. As if reading his mind, Eleana proudly swept her free hand out. "Welcome to Castle Hei, home of the Yi clan since the beginning of the Calamity. Listen Levi, Eastrain might be gone, and I know that's hard. I'm sorry for leaving you behind, but I couldn't go back after those bastards just watched while that insane maniac tried to have me eaten. I wasn't there for you then, but now it's different. Out here, in the North, I can do anything. We can do anything! You have no idea how happy I am that you're here, and you've grown so...so big." She glanced over at him, watching his expression. Levi wasn't sure what to think. I get why you couldn't come back, but why couldn't you take me with you? He wanted to say it out loud but he was too scared of what she might say.

"That's great sis." He said instead. "But what about the Deathless City? They're invading. The River Guardian can't hold them forever. Who knows, they might have already broken through. We need to tell the Capital! That's why Jasmine and I came actually. We were hoping you could help us get a message to the Emperor!" He said frantically. Eleana didn't seem to share his urgency, however. She just kept walking, calm and steady, carrying some of his weight.

"Relax lil bro. Relax. I told you, we're in the Northern Rainlands. It's different here. And as for warning the Capital...well, I'd say it's a bit late for that. Emperor Jie is dead..." Her voice became slightly more serious and he felt her hand tighten on his shoulder. It hurt a bit. Oh...right. That man said that the Emperor was dead while he was talking to Peirce. Wait...so Jasmine's father is dead? I wonder how she'll react when she finds out. It didn't seem like she liked him very much but he was still her father...

"We still have to warn whoever's in charge though, right?" Levi asked. Eleana just shook her head, chuckling slightly. She stopped in front of a door with two armed guards outside, all decked in chainmail and with the broadsword sigil of the House of Yi.

"The person in charge already knows what they need to know, Levi. You've done well. Now then..." She flicked her fingers at the guards and they opened the door for her. Wow, she didn't even need to say anything! "Let's meet your little friend. I'm dying to know what kind of lady my lil bro has picked up!"

"She's not my..." Levi stopped as he remembered the times he had slept beside Jasmine, the way they had curled up together at night. "I've never even seen her face!" He replied indignantly in the end. Eleana didn't say anything but Levi had the feeling she was holding in a laugh as she helped him into the room. When he saw Jasmine on the bed, he forgot about his weakness and broke away from Eleana's support to run to her. His leg gave out before he could make it and he ungracefully stumbled, falling atop the side of the mattress. Jasmine turned her head weakly to look at him, her mask freshly cleaned. The scratch marks gleamed, reminders of all they had been through.

"You...don't look much better than I feel." She said and Levi wanted to rip the mask off and kiss her. Eleana came up behind him and Jasmine tensed. "Who's she?"

"I'm Levi's sister. You can call me Eleana. What should I call you?" Eleana introduced herself and Levi felt a somewhat awkward atmosphere as Jasmine suspiciously looked between her and Levi. "What? Don't see the family resemblance?"

"No, I see it. I'm just wondering..." Jasmine trailed off and Levi hastily stepped in. He reached over and took her hand. She weakly held it and he was surprised she didn't pull away.

"Jasmine, you can trust my sister. She's important here in the North. More important than I thought. But there's something you should know..." Levi wasn't sure how to say it. "Emperor Jie, he's dead." He just came out with it and squeezed her hand. Then he remembered the needle tracks on her arm and loosened his grip slightly. What the hell happened to her? Most of those were old. Had to have been from before we started traveling. What is going on in the Capital?

Jasmine for her part took it stoically. Almost emotionlessly. She stopped for a moment, clearly shocked. After a long minute, she asked,

"How?" But Levi didn't know. His sister answered instead.

"Emperor Jie died several weeks ago, although I don't trust the reports. It's hard to say exactly how long the Capital has been running around without a head. Not that it was much better under his rule." Eleana snorted disapprovingly, "He's been dead a while. We're not sure who's running the show. We've received messages from several potential heirs asking for support, but from the sound of it, it's brutal down there. Emperor Jie had a lot of siblings, and all of them are either fighting it out or trying to escape the carnage. It doesn't matter though, the Northern Rainlands is sitting this one out. As a matter of fact-" The door suddenly rapped. Eleana instantly jerked her head to the side and responded. "Yes?"

"Milady, the other man has awoken." The same voice responded and Levi felt his pulse rise. Wait, that's right, Peirce escaped, but what about the doctor!

"Sis, that man, he drugged Jasmine! But he was just working for Peirce! You have to be careful, he's dangerous!" Levi tried to explain and his sister's face became chilly.

"Peirce? Is that the one who got away? He killed two of my men before escaping into the storm. I don't know what hole he's hiding in, but when he comes out, we'll deal with him. As for the man we have...he hurt a friend of yours, and from the sounds of it he's guilty of trying to hurt my little brother." Eleana's voice turned dangerous, and Levi shivered, remembering how she became when she got angry. She suddenly raised her voice, speaking to someone outside the room, "I'll show him what happens to people who touch my family. Rei, fetch that man. Bring him to the main courtyard. And don't be gentle." Eleana rose, "Come." She said to Levi and he had no choice but to follow. Jasmine let out a little gasp as she tried to get up and now it was Levi's turn to fuss.

"You should rest! I'll be back soon!" He tried to get her to stay down but it was futile. She sat up and even though she swayed, her voice wasn't one to argue with.