Chapter 14: Choices

"So...you lived." She said calmly a tinge of surprise in her voice. Held up her knife. Levi braced himself. Is she going to kill me too? "No one has ever seen my Reincarnation and lived. Tell me, don't you think you should be running away, instead of blaming me for your failures? Did you hear what they said? I'm Yujeon Jie. I could kill you here, and even if people knew it was me, no one would question it."

"I don't care what you do to me! I need to know. Why didn't you help? You could have saved everyone!" Levi's fear slipped away, replaced by all the pent-up rage he had been holding back for himself. Now that she was in front of him, he had to wonder what had happened all those years ago. "You were there! There hadn't been a foreigner in Eastrain for years, not since my sister left! And yet when you and Anton showed up, suddenly men from the Deathless City come. I don't think that's a coincidence, do you? Tell me, what the hell were you doing in Eastrain! Why didn't you warn the village!"

The silver fox mask tilted sideways. For the first time in this exchange, Levi felt like something he had said had gotten through to her. She bent down and started to clean the blood off her knife with the corner of one of the men's shirts.

"You honestly believe that it was my fault that the men came? You were the one who let them in! I'll tell you this. The reason we came to Eastrain was to investigate reports that the Deathless City had begun to mobilize. None of my siblings were interested, they're too busy fighting over control of the throne. But I know better. If the Deathless Emperor wants to make a move on us again, then there won't be a throne to fight over. Anton and I came to warn Eastrain. We told Elder Shisshion why we came. He KNEW the Deathless City could be coming." She stopped talking and Levi didn't want to believe her.

"You're...lying! Elder Shisshion would have told us if there was danger!" Levi tried to deny her. But she just kept cleaning her knife, the fox mask giving nothing away.

"No, I'm not. We told him but he didn't want to scare the townspeople before the festival. That night, Anton and I went to investigate the border. But the Deathless City had men waiting in the forest. Anton went to hide the horses before you came and opened your big mouth. They must have been watching for weeks. Unable to cross the Yura until you so graciously brought them a Dragonstone. Now do you see? You brought this upon yourself!" She straightened, done cleaning. Levi was stunned, utterly unable to refute her logic.

"I...I didn't...mean too...I just wanted to go with you guys...to the capital. To get away..." He stammered, suddenly a child once more. When the girl walked by him, he caught that familiar fragrance. Jasmine. It was fainter, but still there. He was too afraid to look into her eyes anymore. So, he stared at the ground. "Eastrain's gone. The River Guardian won't last forever. Elder Shisshion told me to tell the capital, but I lost his message. No one will believe me. Could you...could you help me?" His voice was pleading. Levi stared at the cobblestones, watching as her feet stopped.

"Help you? Heh, as if. I've been trying to warn the capital but every time I try to talk to any of the local officials, well you saw what happens. I thought they were just trying to bring me back to one of my siblings but it looks like someone wants me dead instead. It's pointless, I might be able to do something if I could get to my father, but with Anton dead, no thanks to you, I don't have any contacts I can trust out here. I can't help you. You should just give up, save some money, maybe try to move inland. Eventually this whole place will go up in flames. The capital won't be able to hold the ground here once the Deathless City invades." She started to walk past Levi. He remained there, rooted to the spot like a tree had started to grow out of him. I...Elder Shisshion...you...me...we both failed. But is this really how it ends?

"Wait. Wait, wait WAIT! Is that really it? You're just going to keep running? You're a PRINCESS! And you have a Reincarnation! You could tell people! They'll listen to you!" Levi shouted. Yujeon stopped, irritation in her voice.

"Were you listening? Or are you just dumb? I told you, I HAVE been telling people. They won't listen. No one knows about my Reincarnation but if the men they send after me keep disappearing, they'll just send more. How many men do you think I can handle? Six? Ten? Twelve? These guys weren't anything special, but my siblings have real warriors under their command. Entire divisions of soldiers with Reincarnations. They'll bury me under bodies if they have to!" She huffed, suddenly aware that she had lost her cool. Levi stared at her as she turned on him. "And as for telling the people...yea right. No one knows me Levi. You've never even seen my face. The nobles of the Rainlands court hardly ever leave the Capital. The regular populace wouldn't know who I was if I walked around screaming my name, and even if I did, they wouldn't believe it without the honor guard and retainers to match. Only an official will be able to tell who I am, and precious few of those. It's just not so simple." Levi's mind grew overcluttered. Why does it have to be so hard? Why does everything have to be so complicated?

"I...still...we can't just...everything here...will be gone!" Levi couldn't get his words out right. He struggled to see it, Neida up in flames like Eastrain had been. Though he wasn't close to anyone here, he still didn't want to see it burn! "There has to be some way. Just...give me a second, let me think!"

"There are no seconds to think when it's life or death, Levi. Sometimes you just have to keep moving. I don't know whether or not there are more men coming. I'm leaving, and unless you want people to think you're responsible for these bodies, I suggest you don't stick around. But it's your choice. Stay here and think all you like." The princess turned and walked away. Levi took a long look at the dead bodies. He glanced at Yoro's tavern. I could just stay. Forget all this. Hope the Deathless City never manages to cross the Yura. Hitch a ride to the city when I have the money. But...

"Hold on! I'm coming!" Levi bent down and grabbed one of the men's swords. He tried to unbuckle a sheath, but then realized that the belt was many sizes too large for him and awkwardly dashed off to follow with the sword cradled in his arms. It banged around making slight metallic twangs but Princess Yujeon didn't bother turning around, instead striding quickly to the edge of town and into the woods. Levi wasn't sure what he was doing. He didn't know what he had in mind. But for the first time in life, he didn't care. Though the shadows seemed to hide yellow eyes and white fangs he followed her away from his life for the last two years and into the woods.