☾ 3: Helpless ☾

After I felt I was far enough away and safe, I took a better look at my surroundings. As I suspected from my cage view,  I just so happen to be in the middle of nowhere. It was all outstretched grass with a few trees and a fading dirt trail. Lovely.

I heard what seemed like a car behind me so I turned to look.

I guess I wasn't safe after all seeing as my luck would have it James was chasing after me.

I started to run again. Fearing for my life I failed to notice the ditch up ahead. I tried to slow down but I was going too fast I ended up falling in headfirst. It was void of any water, instead having throned weeds and trash littered about.

My paws were aching. I took a look at them and sure enough, my arms and legs were all scratched up, bloody. Thinking the thorns were the main cause I realized some wounds were too excessive to be caused by them. Then it clicked. I was injured when I was still human the damage from the explosion must have stayed with me when I turned into this.

I lay in the ditch too weak now to climb out. I heard the car getting closer.

"Here Cassy...come here, girl," James called.

I growled. Of course, he would have the audacity to call me like some dog.

The car continued to get louder and louder closer and closer. My heart raced in anticipation.

Luckily after a few more torturous minutes, the car engine got quieter as it went further and further away.

I fought my way up out of the ditch with a few whines of pain along the way. I thought the pain I received from my parents was bad but this takes the cake.

I looked around just to be sure he truly left. When there was no one in sight I followed the dirt trail heading away from the lab hoping it lead to some type of cottage or town.

I walked and walked for what seemed like days but it was barely getting dark. Just as I was about to give up I spotted a city. With all the remaining strength I could muster I ran to it.

I walked into the city limping helplessly. Some people walking by would look at me and just walk away, others stared at me in confusion and the rest kept their distance. No one felt the need to panic or scream because they knew I couldn't do anything at least not in my current state.

I felt a new pain in my heart seeing no one trying to help me. Back when I was human I had the biggest soft spot for animals.

Desperately needing to rest I found an alley with a beaten-down mattress and laid on it. I shut my eyes only to open them a second later when something landed in front of me. It was half of a burger. I looked up to see who threw it but couldn't see anyone.

This could very well be a trap. Maybe James found me but he would've got me with my eyes closed if that were the case. For a moment I wondered if I should've stayed with James. He could have patched me up, I'd have food and shelter. I was reminded of his phone call though. If I stayed I likely would have died and even though I'm in a bad situation right now at least I'm not caged up.

I sniffed the burger with the small thought that it could be poisoned. Then again I don't know what poison even smelled like.

The hunger eventually won over so I quickly devoured it and fell asleep.