☾ 20: Revenge ☾

I slammed the book in frustration.

"So there are a lot of similarities between werewolves and vampires what does this have to do with me? Vampires don't even exist." I told Mason.

"They do- did. They did." He grabbed my shoulders. "Either way you need to learn to control yourself! If you don't you could end up hurting the one person I know you care about most"

I sighed. He was right. I don't want Laine getting hurt at all let alone because of me. The guilt and shame I'd feel if I hurt her is one thing but if I did something completely irreversible... I don't think I could ever forgive myself 

"How do I control it? It's so hard to think straight in those moments my body just tends to move on its own."

"Easy. You just have to stay away from the taste of human blood. Slowly the cravings for it will fade."

"How long will that take exactly?"

"I'm not sure."

It was during moments like these I wondered why I couldn't just be normal. Have a normal life that didn't result in me being abused and turning into some monster. Have normal loving parents but no what did I get instead? A beast's body and equally monstrous parents.

My temper rose. Now that I thought about it. My fake parents live not far from here. I could easily go and show them what they've raised.

"Well, I'm going to get going," I said simply as I stood up.

"Where?" Mason asked.

"Back home."

It wasn't a complete lie.

"Do you think you can control it?" He asked.

"Yeah."

"Want me to check up on you more often just in case?"

"No, I'll be okay. See you later."

Mason simply nodded as I headed out the door.

It wasn't long before I was face to face with the place it all began. It was still a small beaten-down house littered with weeds and beer bottles. I walked up to the house and listened closely.

"Where is that sorry excuse for a woman?! How long does it take to get me some damn food?!" He spat.

"I would sell her off too but I doubt she'd be worth much." He continued ranting angrily.

I can't believe I used to ever call this man my father. Some part of me growing up hoped he would change. As soon as I was old enough to realize that would never be the case I just hoped for some form of escape. Despite my life, after I left being its own form of chaos I'm at least glad he isn't my biological father.

I flung open the door causing it to smack into the wall.

"Finally you're..."

As soon as he saw me I caught a slight worry in his eyes but it quickly faded away.

"What are you doing here?" He scoffed.

"What? Didn't you miss me?" I said through my teeth.

He paused for a moment as if thinking.

"You know what? I did miss you. I missed smacking the shit out of you when you mistook your role here." He smirked as he stood.

No words could describe how angry I was becoming.

"Well, I suppose it's thanks to you that I've learned a few tricks. Though I think now it is you who's misunderstanding your role here." I growled.

—————————————————————

"I'm back-."

My 'mother' screamed as she saw the scene before her. I had her husband backed into the wall. I was in my wolf form, some blood around my mouth from when I bit into his arm.

I faced her and growled.

"You! I thought I'd never have to see you again!" She yelled.

I ran up to her biting down on her leg. She let out a pained scream.

—————————————————————

As soon as I got home I headed straight for Laine's room. When I walked in I saw her and Mason.

"I thought you told me you were going home?! Where did you go?" Mason yelled.

I rolled my eyes. "Don't worry about it. It's none of your business."

"Don't tell me you."

"I didn't kill anyone if that's what you're thinking. I just them become bare witness to what they created."

"Them?! Jesus Cassy. Who'd you go after the scientists?" Mason asked exasperated.

"No. I went to the people who tormented me long before I was a lab rat."

Mason scratched his head in thought still angry.

"M-Mason maybe you should go." Laine finally spoke.

She was so quiet the whole time I nearly forgot she was there.

"What if she-."

"I'll be fine." Laine interrupted.

With that Mason gave me one last look before he left. It was just Laine and me now. I just awkwardly stood looking at the ground. Then I suddenly felt arms wrap around me.

"I know you were angry and I know they were awful people but please tell me you won't hurt anyone again."

At that moment I regretted my earlier actions. How easily she grounded me was frightening. I hugged her back afraid she'd disappear.

"I won't. I promise and I definitely will never hurt you."

—————————————————————

MASON'S POV

I sighed as I made my way back inside the den.

"You know it's only the natural thing for her to do."

"Shut up Jake." I snapped as I lay down on the dirt floor.

"Hey, I'm just saying. I mean if I was that wronged or nearly killed I'd act on my anger too."

"We hunt animals, not people." I reminded him.

"No, we do kill people. It's only fair after what they've done to us in the past."

"They didn't always. Not before they ruined it all. That's when the humans killed us for fear we were the same monsters that were after their families."

"Well... speaking of them." Jake started.

"What is it?"

"I don't think you're going to like this. Especially given your rant just now about the past."

"Jake, what is it?" I asked in frustration.

"She's here..."