☾ 10: Light In The Dark ☾

I clenched my fists as I tried to calm myself down. All the anger and sadness that has been building up inside of me for years was about to explode. Why now of all times? I needed to control myself but I couldn't.

"Why are you here? Don't you know you could've gotten hurt!" I tried to sound as calm as possible but I heard the anger in my voice. Both Mason and Laine gave me a look of shock and confusion.

"W-well I came to help you."

"I didn't need your help!"

Take it back. Just take it back.

"Cassy are you okay?" Mason said with a look of concern.

"I was... No, wait I actually never was until I was put on that table. Now the opportunity is gone."

Mason looked at me disapprovingly. He knew what I meant but Laine was still confused.

"I-I figured something was wrong when you didn't come back and I saw someone start taking off the 'lost dog' posters so I figured you got taken," Laine said.

I couldn't focus on anything other than anger and as my mind wandered to what my 'mother' told me I completely lost it.

"Honestly why the fuck would you risk your life for me!? You barely know shit about me!"

Stop. I need to stop

"B-because... I-I lik-."

Before she could even try and finish her sentence my anger took over.

"How can you possibly like someone you just met a few weeks ago!? It shouldn't even matter that I got caught anyway because even if I didn't I wouldn't have gone back to your house!"

She grew more upset but I ignored it completely.

"Mason and I were gonna leave this place because of how dangerous it was for me to be here!"

"You weren't going to tell me?" She asked looking down at the ground.

"Why would I? I don't owe you anything! The only reason you 'like' me is because of what I am!"

Why did I say that? I knew it wasn't even true.

She looked up at me her sadness seemed to be replaced with anger.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?! Do you really think that's why? I wouldn't care if you were just 'normal' Cassy! I'd still feel and care for you the same way I do now! I know we only met several weeks ago but in that time we got to know each other. In that time I got to-."

Her voice began to calm.

"You don't know how much I want to continue to get to know you. Yet each time I looked at you, your mind was in space and you always looked upset. I didn't bother to ask you any questions because I figured if you were comfortable enough with me and trusted me you would tell me! You never did." Her eyes started to fill up with tears but I could tell she was trying to hold them back.

"I'm sorry..." I say with my fists still clenched.

"But you don't know how much I just wished this would all be over forever. I never deserved to live a life this cruel." Tears made their way to my eyes but before anything else could happen I ran out the doors.

I ran as far as my human legs could carry me. Not looking back. Not knowing where I was going. I just ran and ran.

I figured as soon as I ran out they would come after me. I was hoping to lose them if they were but I knew Mason could just sniff me out.

I stopped at a tree and punched it. I was so mad letting my anger out on something... anything helped. I kept punching and punching ignoring the blood dripping from my knuckles. Once the tree was near collapse I continued running.

I found myself in a very small abandoned town and I took that moment to sit on the sidewalk, gather my thoughts, and cry. Two things I rarely did.

I felt both physical and mental pain. I was a wreck. My knuckles were dripping blood onto my clothes and the ground.

I buried my face with my hands and just cried. I let out everything that's been held up inside of me, cursing myself. I was there for a long time possibly hours. I was soon much calmer. When I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up and saw it was Laine.

"Hey..." She said with a wary smile.

"Hey," I said slowly trying to cover up my hands so she wouldn't notice.

"I'll leave you two alone." I heard another voice say as I looked over It was Mason, and he walked off. I didn't even know he was here.

Laine grabbed my hand while I wasn't paying attention and saw how beaten up they were.

"It's nothing," I said then she gently rubbed her thumb over the wound.

I flinched but not due to the pain. It was because of the way her touch affected me. She didn't know that though.

"Sorry." She said letting go of my hand and sitting down in front of me.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

Without any warning, she leaned in and kissed me. For the first time in my life, I felt happy. I no longer felt alone.

As much as I didn't want to and as much as I wanted to save this moment. Given all the blood, the running, the anger, the sadness, the happiness, and the kiss. It was too overwhelming for me so I passed out.