Chapters nine | Not so easy simplifications

I was silently sitting on the bleachers as I read through my book. It was the reading assignment they forced us to read this year. 'The Invisible Man' was boring according to me. Reading between the lines was not my thing, and this book's plot was too slow for my liking. Like seriously, we get to know the invisible man's name halfway into the novel.

From time to time, I looked up from the boring book towards her. She was flawless and looked at total ease as she followed the commands. Andrea's hair fluttered in the light breeze as a wide smile remained static on her face. A hopeless sigh slipped past my lips.

I seriously hope this bad boy bullshit works.

Sometimes, my eyes moved towards Cynthia too, noticing the ease with which she commanded the team. Flipping in the air as if it was nothing out of an action movie.

Moving my eyes away from here, I noticed a figure approaching me. My eyes hardened a bit as they met Jacob's steely grays.

He smirked and stopped in front of me. He turned around and looked towards the cheerleading squad, where my eyes were a few seconds before.

"Seriously, nerd, you are so desperate," he commented with a smirk. "Following her around like a lost puppy when she is just using you."

"I am not fucking desperate," I hissed, making his smirk widen.

I tried taking a calming breath as I didn't want to get in trouble after punching the star quarterback of school.

"Oh? Well, following her to practice makes you fucking desperate," he leered. 

His eyes hardened as he glared at me. He lightly pushed at my shoulder, coaxing me to make a move.

It was silent for a moment as our eyes battled in a hard staring match.

"Why the fuck do you care? She is not your fucking girlfriend, Andrea is," I said, pointing out the well-known fact.

He seemed a bit stunned for a moment. For a few seconds, he was a total loss of words.

His facade slipped, and he looked every bit of a vulnerable teen he was. But he was quick to return to his usual demeanor with the ever-present smirk back.

"You like my girlfriend, don't you?" he stated, leaning forward. He was trying to intimidate me. I was sick of the mind games he was trying to play with me. His words were not making any sense, only adding to my irritation.

"What if I do?" I seethed as my fists balled on my sides. I didn't even realize when I stood up from my spot, meeting Jacob straight on.

I was expecting some kind of threat, some kind of comment or some joke about me, but his face turning to a smile was something I never expected.